1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First purchase of 2017

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by SuperFly, Jan 31, 2017.

1. SuperFly

SuperFly New Member

I have received my first Boombox of 2017, a Citizen JTR1814K.

Once the tracking was labelled "delivered," quickly ran home during my lunch time at work to go pick it up.

I was a little disappointed on how little the unit was packaged however, everything seemed intact.
    IMG_5089.JPG IMG_5090.JPG IMG_5091.JPG IMG_5092.JPG

My first impressions were that it seems pretty light but it looks good and is a little larger than an M70.
    IMG_5097.JPG
    While unwrapping it, it was evident that it has a few broken pieces on the inside and when I plugged it in, nothing happened. I tried powering it on with multiple different power cords, in different outlets and with fresh batteries. To my dismay, they were all unsuccessful.

Before it was sent, it was mentioned that the radio was working but I believe that the packaging may have had something to do with it no longer working.

I have now taken it apart and here is the problem. The circuit board that connects the power source to the functions is completely broken in half.

IMG_5094.JPG IMG_5093.JPG

Now the search for a replacement begins!

2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

ow mate that sucks, I hate postal damage, so gutting. That board doesn't look very packed though so jumping the traces would probably see it working again :thumbsup:

3. deech

deech Well-Known Member

The Boombox you received Superfly wasnt even packaged it was thrown in a carton box and it was sent to you by the seller like this . I would have asked for gettin the amount i paid for it back. I am surprised it only got this damage.
    I have a JPS ( John Player Special?) 9994 AKA of this Citizen JTR1814K
    DSC04141.JPG

Brutus442 and Mystic Traveller like this.
  4. T-ster

Daaamn Deech i love that JPS box!

deech likes this.
  5. superlew

superlew Member

'The hell kinda packing job was that?!? A loose blaster in a big box wrapped in a trash bag? Am I seeing this correctly? :shock
    There really should be a law.
    So lucky the only casualty was the PS board - Should be no problem sorting that out.
    Looks great overall, btw. :bigthumbsup:

Brutus442 likes this.
  6. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Quality packing ! I received a Aiwa 770 last week smashed around the handle on both sides at least I now have a jigsaw to do .

7. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

That sucks. Should be able to repair that board if you have some basic soldering skills :)

8. SuperFly

SuperFly New Member

Haha, "a loose blaster in a big box wrapped in a trash bag" is correct.

I talked to the sender and he was completely unwilling to do anything anything about this. Pretty disappointing.

I brought it into to the only repair shop in town and he said that he is good at soldering but would be unable to get this one back together.

At this point I am looking into a finding a replacement and just switching it out completely.

9. T-ster

Well that sucks. The seller should make a part refund at least. I think you should persist and contact ebay if you got it from there?

Brutus442 likes this.
  10. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy New Member

Yeah, replace the CAP on the board and add jumper wires to connect all the broken traces. Do continuity tests on the traces and check before powering it up.

Get it working while you look for a replacement/parts box.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    nickeccles likes this.
  11. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I agree. That looks quite repairable. Back when most CBs were illegal in the UK I bought (from a Police charity who were selling them for parts only) an American spec rig which had been "disabled" by putting a hammer through the circuit board breaking it into three pieces. 25 wire links later it was working as good as new :yahoo

I'm counting six broken tracks on that board, although I can't work out what has happened under the transformer (is it loose ?)

12. MikeBoombox

MikeBoombox Member

Hi SuperFly, So sorry this has happened to u. I really hate when this happens. Put a claim for damage item & u will get your $ back. Is a very nice looking box with very nice chrome caps.

13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

SuperFly, that person at the repair shop lied to you: he "did not want to", not "could not do" the fix. It takes six pieces of wire, soldering iron, and 10 min (an hour tops) to fix. Plus, you will be able to say that it is "point-to-point" wiring, something folks pay extra for nowadays.

14. SuperFly

SuperFly New Member

Update!

I have found a replacement power supply and this box is now powers on! The volume fader is a little staticky and tape deck belts need to be changed but when I get a little more time, those should be easy fixes.

So far I am pretty happy with this radio. It's not the best sound quality but it does look great, is reasonably loud, and is lightweight so it's easy to carry around!

Please enjoy some pictures of the donor box, some of the process, and a comparison shot with a Panasonic RX5080

Attached Files:

deech and Brutus442 like this.
  15. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Nice work!

16. superlew

superlew Member

Couldn't help myself :biggrin:
    S2G.jpg

Nice save, BTW.

deech and Brutus442 like this.
  17. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

-Eulogy-
    "He lived a long life...longer than any egg should, but in the end gave up for his older brother that he may soldier on....Fair well Emerson"

*Taps plays...and finishes with Amazing Grace o the bagpipes*

deech and superlew like this.
  18. superlew

superlew Member

...as his remains are carefully lowered into the recycle bin.

Brutus442 likes this.
  19. SuperFly

SuperFly New Member

IMG_5508.JPG

Brutus442 and superlew like this.
  20. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Good work restoring this. I have a re-branded version called Electro Brand 7985. It's lightweight with cheap tape decks and a fake 3rd speaker in the center, but it has that classic ghettoblaster look with chrome, white speakers, and a cool V-shaped LED meter.