1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a USB -to-optical converter for my recordings

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by Command8, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I have some bad news, I bought a Fiio Taishan DAC, an optical cable and a optical to 3.5mm adapter (from cablestop).
    I thought an "audio combo jack" meant that my laptop headphone jack is an optical line out, I was wrong.
    I apparently need a analog to digital converter.
    What analog to digital converter would you all recommend?

2. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

I think you need a USB to optical audio converter, not an ADC.

Using and ADC then feeding it into the DAC as a headphone amp kinda defeats the object.

Henry

3. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Thanks for the quick reply Henry. I've since cancelled my order and will get a usb to optical converter.

4. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

No worries, give me a shout if you need any further assistance.

Henry

5. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I'm thin
    king of getting this but I have no clue whether it works with windows 10 or not, this was made for windows 98.
    Sony PCLK-U5 CAV-U5 USB to optical digital replacement converter

6. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

I wouldn't bother with the Sony - the drivers probably won't work anymore. I a Behringer U-Control UCA202 which is usually around £25 in the UK. It offers an optical output from USB which will work with your DAC, plus RCA in and out jacks which may be useful for recording from laptop to tape if that's your thing!

Henry

7. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Did some research Im thinking of getting a hdmi audio splitter.

8. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

Sure. that'd work fine as long as you bought one with S/PDIF (optical audio) support :bigthumbsup:

Henry

9. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

If you have an laptop and that optical-to-analog converter, I think you either buy an USB-to-optical or -I think better choice- an USB-to-analog. This can be any of the wide range of modern DACs available today.

An expert I trust on reviewed the old Airport express from apple (now about 30$ 2nd hand) used as a DAC and it seems it performs admirably:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/airport-express-audio-quality-2014.htm#rex

I don't know if it can be used in a PC as usual without worrying with the setup, but it's worth to look at. If not, the Behringer could be a good, affordable choice. Also, the O2 from JDS Labs can be.
    It depends on if you look for something cheap or want a really high quality sound.

10. greg

greg Member

Creative USB Soundblaster Live 24 External. SB0490

Goes for a song, excuse the pun, and works all the way up to W10Pro-64. Creative really support their legacy models for drivers.

Has optical SPDIF out you can then run on a long fibre cable to a cheapo EbY DAC which is really fine sounding. Snobbery aside, it works, I have two.

Optically decoupling your computer from stereo is probs a good idea to avoid any ground loops and EMF transmission along copper wires.

HTH

Greggers

11. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

This issue of how to convert digital to optical has been a big challenge for me.
    I asked this question in the past and unfortunately haven't received the answer yet.
    Does anybody know or direct me to a link that can convert digital or analog to a real optical out?
    I want to make minidiscs from my iTunes list. So i need a device to connect my mac as a source and and give me a real "optical out" to be able to record from minidisc
    (By the way Sony doesnt support its original software for minidiscs).

12. greg

greg Member

Boodokhan...it sounds like you want to take the o/p from a laptop to minidisc i/p, is this correct?

If so, you would need to probably match the sampling frequency on digital to digital, OR, analogue i/p to minidisc.

Try finding a mac-compatible USB soundcard that gives optical SPDIF/TOSLINK, then match up connectors. You'll need to check the sampling rate on the minidisc is the same as the source, most likely 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz, and then experiment.
    If you need to go from co-axial to optical SPDIF/TOSLINK, I think there are quite a few converters around on the 'Bay, for not much at all.

As long as you can get good signal in and out, the quality won't degrade over digital, it just works/translates, or it doesn't.
    http://www.minidisc.org/part_Mac+PC_to_MD_Link_Kits.html

Additionally, Sony had real issues with the enforcement of DRM from USB>MD, and it looks like it's a one-way street, aside from the interplay of CODECs, or lack thereof.

Mac OS is hindering you in the way that what small solutions are available, are mostly found on the Windows platform, and several iterations of the OS ago.

HTH
    Greg

13. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Thanks for your recommendation greg, I use a Macbook laptop and the option of replacing the sound card is unfortunately not possible.
    The link you sent is blocked here at work. I will open it at home. Thanks again