1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Boot Sale Finds

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Simon, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Active Member

Where is this car boot sale?! :eek2::hypo

2. Simon

Simon Active Member

If you mean the one I got the Sony Walkman in, it was in Hertfordshire. But it was luck and it could have been any car boot. I found the first Sony and Philips portable CD players last summer in different car boots. It's all luck and my keen eyesight!

Chris likes this.
  3. sickly_b

sickly_b Active Member

you have to be persistent with the boot sales / junk shops - like panning for gold, every now and then you get lucky. All the 'wasted' trips are worth it for an immaculate Sanyo M7735 (£2 !)

Simon likes this.
  4. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Love Astro Wars

sickly_b and Simon like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Active Member

I've got a friend who works in a charity shop, she lets me know every time anything decent comes in (nothing yet).

sickly_b likes this.
  6. Simon

Simon Active Member

Exactly, I've been getting up at 4.45am every Saturday and Sunday since March to go to the sales. Some weeks there is nothing to buy, other times it's raining so they get called off or very few sellers attend and sometimes if you persist and get lucky you find a really nice item which makes up for the bad weeks.

sickly_b likes this.
  7. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

same here, my mate finished it without losing a life lol I lost one, could never beat him:wink2

8. greg

greg Member

WTF those metal....! Flip a few for a bro?

9. Northerner

Without losing a life?...I'll give it a go :)

Radio Raheem likes this.
  10. Simon

Simon Active Member

Hi all, time for this weekends car boot buys....

First up a great find, a mint in box Technics SL-XP700 CD player. Very slim and a full metal case so has a nice weight to it. 8 times oversampling and 18 bit digital filter. It came with the box, power cord, battery holder attachment, soft case and manual. Still had original receipt in the box for £179.99 from 1992. Sounds really excellent. Here are some pics......
    DSC_2166.JPG
    DSC_2167.JPG
    DSC_2168.JPG
    DSC_2171.JPG
    DSC_2169.JPG
    DSC_2170.JPG

Next up is a sealed 10 pack of Sony Neige Minidiscs. These go for quite a bit on Ebay, by the looks of it £30-40!
    DSC_2165.JPG

A Sony MZ-N1 body only. Works fine.
    DSC_2163.JPG

Sony MZ-E60 with remote. Also working fine.
    DSC_2164.JPG

Sony WM-FX483. Second one I've found in the last few weeks I think.
    DSC_2162.JPG

And a trio of little Sony Radio Cassettes as they were a couple of pounds each. Have so many of these already but not the first one.
    15032564207641120769087.jpg
    15032564680821285530415.jpg
    1503256502615267578098.jpg

Also got a Sony CD seperate with remote but it's still in the car and it's a lower end of the range model anyway so not worth showing.

I spent yesterday afternoon replacing the belts, received from Marian, on my TPS-L2 purchased at last weeks car boot and had to resolder a tiny white wire to the mic but it's working great now and sounding excellent.
    DSC_2156.JPG

Hopefully back next week with some more finds....

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  11. Chris

Chris Active Member

I'm really going to have to start going to these sales, seems like I'm missing out on a great opportunity to get some of this amazing stuff.

12. Northerner

Nice finds! I passed a car booty on the way back from a music festival this morning so popped in. No walkmen, no boomboxes, but I did get a nice snare drum and cymbal for peanuts...I can now join a rockabilly group lol
    IMG_4524.JPG

Mystic Traveller, Simon and Chris like this.
  13. davebush

davebush Active Member

well i was up at 6 am...out by 7 with my lad......went to 2 bootys....no boxes...no walkmans.....nothing.....very disapointed again....keep saying to myself persistence, persistence......mmm 10 years later !!!

Northerner likes this.
  14. Radio Raheem

don't bother with bootsales anymore, howeaver I did find an Amstrad studio 100 at the local dump for £5 quid so I was over the moon

s-l1600[1].jpg

Mystic Traveller and Chris like this.
  15. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Woah, what a cool Machine, Rah-Rah! :applause

Radio Raheem likes this.
  16. Radio Raheem

Thank you Sir...I now have 2 of them but I remember them back in the day...I took a part time job along with my full time one...and they gave me there studio as payment, it actually comes with it's own speakers which I would love to find

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  17. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Even with it's own acoustics, Reno? That's interesting - do you have a pic of them, by any chance? Would love to have a look.. :)
    Cheers, Mate! :)

18. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

From the ad it appears to be modular with full fader automation :hypo

I'm sure the Advertising Standards Authority would have something to say these days. :lollegs:

I'm wondering if Reno actually worked in a studio and if so if he has any interesting stories about it to tell.

19. Radio Raheem

No recording studio tales here my friend but I knew someone about 30 miles down the road with one, I ended up with his best keyboard but I stupidly sold it a few weeks later, it's probably worth thousands now buddy as I haven't seen anything like it ever since

Longman likes this.
  20. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

We all make mistakes as I have just found out. Back in the early nineties I owned one of these for about 30 minutes !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMS-VOCOD...195499?hash=item4b1fa10ceb:g:HoUAAOSwE0JY~2Z~

I bought it at Hamfest for £30 then spotted a stall with a sign saying "Wanted - Vintage Synthesizers and Musical Instruments"
    who offered me £60. Doubling my money was too tempting. If only I had kept it a bit longer.

Not quite as bad as a colleague who about five years ago took an Acorn Atom to the tip only to discover a few weeks later how much it was worth (about £250).

Radio Raheem likes this.