1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My thoughts about boomboxes

Discussion in 'Best Threads' started by walkman archive, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Welcome back hugo, yes the price was high but i think there rare now, worth having just to use on my high end gear, unlike what i had years ago, can't wait lad:)

Patron likes this.
  2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

hahaa, one day Hugo will release a book, called "portable stereo and ZEN" :smoke

3. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

The vents on a 1-piece boombox allow it to be heard from behind. This is important because 1-piece boxes are often used outdoors, where people are walking around in several directions. An egg or a 3-piece box, while it might sound superior indoors, is a poor choice for outdoor use, because all of its sound goes toward the front.

Eggs and 3-pieces sound great when you're sitting in front of them, but if you walk to the side or behind them (or into another room), the vocals quickly drop off, leaving only warm, sloppy bass.
    That Kaboom uses real subwoofers on the sides -- They do not produce mids or highs --- So it does not matter which direction they point.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  4. Radio Raheem

s-l1600 (9).jpg I now have the panasonic Dt9 and can confirm it's one of the best panasonic eggs ever made both in sound quality and features

it has set a new standard among eggs and i have had them all.....the best was the panasonic rx dt707 rx dt 909

this is the best one i have heard and makes a mockery of all 80's boxes....the deciding factor for me was dolby c, other great features are manual record level and a manual 5 band eq plus Sxbs

this on an egg is just outstanding....can highly recommend it lads

the only negative she is a JDM model and therefore only has a JDM tuner

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    CDV, Jorge, Longman and 3 others like this.
  5. Radio Raheem

Lads if you want the ultimate sounding boombox it is between 4 the jvc rd md5 kaboom with minidisk the sony fh 909 plus the jvc pcx 1000 and lastly this panasonic dt9, the other 3 are streets ahead but the dt9 i think is the best Panasonic made and does sound superb and the only one here that uses batteries

if you want the best sounding from the 80's it's between 2 the telefunken studio 1m 3 piece and the jvc m90 1 piece.....i will also throw in the conion c100 but the build quality is lacking and no dolby etc

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Radio, what about the AIWA Compos? I think there were only two, the "22" Series and the "10" Series, the heaviest boomers around clocking in around 50 lbs. The Hitachi LO-D M2 (and M1) sounds great but the plastic speakers don't give off the warmth of wood. I used to follow HIFI Tom's Threads years ago, still found in the forum reader, where he was chasing the best "HI-FI" Boomboxes, he used to get a lot of grief but over the years I've been going after the models he'd talk about. I think he agreed on the Telefunken 1M but I haven't seen one of those around here yet.

7. Radio Raheem

Never had an aiwa compo Mr x but there meant to be good slightly ahead of the jvc pc5, the weight and size just never appealed to me Lad...the jvc pcx 1000 must be weighing in at 40 lbs though but again very awkward to move about....im lucky though i have all the boxes mentioned and can attest to there quality in sound...the one with the deepest warm bass is the jvc rd md5 with MD and i have had all the kabooms...i just wish the md5 was tape and not Md, it also has cd and radio though bro....
    it also has adjustable treble unlike most kabooms, to give you an idea a jvc m90 which i love sounds like a mono radio compared to the md5

if you want a telefunken dude plenty on ebay de...btw i have a Hitachi and it rivals the jvc pcx 1000 but i have only ever seen one (the one i own) it's to heavy and has an obscure MN lad

back to the dt9 even that knocks most 80's boxes for 6, using her now, what a box

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  8. Mister X

I've got a couple of the bigger square (tape only) Panasonic DTs, I wasn't impressed with the sound. I'm assuming mine just sound bad because everyone really likes that line-up, Walkman Archive even rated them highly in this thread. I rotated one for a daily driver but it lasted the shortest time of regular use. The nice egg models are non-existent around here and I've haven't seen one up close. I love the JVC RD MD5 but haven't got one or seen up close, I do have the newer Victor Clavia KT RC1 MD/CD/Tape deck and it's nice sounding even though it does look a little dated, but it's the Hello Kitty Model so it's cool, they just forgot to put a battery compartment on the back.

9. Radio Raheem

i have several that look the same and are dreadful mr x....do you know what dt's you have sir im verry interested....md5 rivals my hifi and it would have been worth several thousand years ago.....i have had many eggs and they have been dreadful and i just gave them away.....the panasonic ds30 for example....rated in hugo's thread it's dreadful worst egg i have heard and i have 2 a friend also bought a ds30 and gave it away, the key to the dt9 it has a 5 band eq plus a sxbs slider...not just a bass slider on it's own, for example i just gave an m70 away all working correctly but honestly it was just to depressing to listen to, flat as a pancake, no warm sound, unless it was on flat out..the other guy loves it though

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  10. Mister X

Neither have a CD player, maybe the 650 and one slightly smaller? They're out in the shop shrink-wrapped up on the top shelf. I'll be back out there for the hockey playoffs tonight.

11. Radio Raheem

the 650 has cd lad

12. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

If you want a Telefunken, we can work out a deal. I have a few that need repairs but I don't have the time to fix all of them.

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  13. Mister X

Radio I was just looking at mine but I already forgot which one it is but it's an RX-CT for sure.

14. Radio Raheem

Well i bought 3 more eggs the main one being the dt5 for parts, it is based on the same shell as the dt9 with the same speaker set up without tweeters

all i can say it's a total disappointment and does not have the deep warm bass of the dt9 lads, mine cost next to nothing but i would totally avoid....3 more eggs to give to someone with nothing imho

15. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Since Forever I wanted to get my hands on Telefunken!!! Keep one of yours for me, once I get something worthy for an exchange I will drive by your place ;) Until my house-rebuild is complete I have no space for such a monster, Telefunken Studio 1 looks like your main stereo, not a Beer&Boomboxes buddy :)

Boodokhan and Mister X like this.
  16. Radio Raheem

you could have mine free as it needs work Jorge but sadly i just cannot post anymore lad

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  17. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

I could hold one for you!
    And they are actually pretty small.
    An M90 is bigger!

Boodokhan and Mister X like this.
  18. Mister X

I'd love to see a Make Telefunken Great Again Thread! But I'd also love to see some beer with Kylie Minogue cranking up when you finish Jorge!

19. Radio Raheem

I have kylies greatest hits playing on the m90 at the moment:delighted:

20. Radio Raheem

The ct 990 is the highest and the best of these Mr x, also has line in,,,same as dt680 but without cd

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020