1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick way to erase safely cassettes

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by angorawol, Oct 7, 2017.

1. angorawol

angorawol New Member

Is there a safe way to quickly erase some cassettes? Not not with the magnet, I consider that not safe.

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Like any professional kit I wouldn't expect one to be cheap though.

You might find one on Ebay. They were popular when computers were using tapes or floppy disks

For info if you put a hard disk in one it would erase all the sector information and never work again.

3. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

just record over them, no need to erase them first if you're deck is good

Jorge likes this.
  4. transwave5

transwave5 Member

Ya magnets are no good
    use bulk eraser

5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I use bulk eraser, but the sound cassette makes while being "erased" is excruciating!!! Thats the only reason I prefer recording "over" and at the end just drop in something as a filler.

6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

image.jpg
    This is what I use, bought for a few bucks off eBay. Put the latest issue of Stereophile on top of cassette, then "iron" it with it. Flip cassette, "iron" again, Done! The pain, sorry, noise!, of music being erased is unforgettable!!!

7. violetmind

violetmind New Member

Which one, Radioshack version or Realistic? Thanks!

8. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

It is the same thing, go for whichever is cheaper!

9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Nice Jorge! I used to work for the company Nortronics Morphed into! As a young technician I would take these units and do excruciating things to them to satisfy the UL and CSA Standards. They were really built like a tank but it was the late 90's and this technology was waning. Nortronics also sold a ton of replacement media tape heads but that too was just before me. We were more into tape head cleaning and I used to have a lot of fun getting heads really dirty and then seeing how our formulations worked.

10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Mister X I feel you! Spending my whole life in The Academy and then medical R&D I know that its a full-time job to fend-off some mundane tasks! And if its unavoidable (transgenic mice in my case) then you just make the most of it by not being serious ;) and doing your "fun" stuff after midnight :cool:

11. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I actually really liked that job and it taught me a lot. Unfortunately tape media was going away and the company's core business was cleaning tapes (especially for 8mm back up tapes). I'd spend days machining fixtures for various production line processes, clean Otari Tape Loading Machines so they would work with cleaning tape instead of audio media, and really dirty up heads to see how well our cleaning formulations worked. I moved on to other things including selling ultrasonic plastic welders to the medical R&D guys up here, and there's a ton of them!