1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...who knows what this is ???

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by autoreverser, Dec 8, 2017.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I can't read it but it looks like a splicing kit for broken tape.....

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I think Mr X is right.

In the UK Cambra were well known for audio accessories like record cleaners so a cassette repair kit would have fitted in with their range.

4. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

i thought it's something like that - funny thing is the discription "Hobbythek" - that was (is ?) in germany the name for a famous d.i.y. tv-show...

well, i didn't buy that thing - would have been something else just taking space in some drawer ;-)

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Although all the online dictionaries claim that the English and German words Hobby mean the same thing I have noticed that the word seems to be used in a different way in Germany, almost as meaning non-professional i.e something done or used in your spare time.

Maybe a German speaker could explain in more detail

I have sometimes seen things like a "Hobby" pressure washer which looks quite amusing in English. Is DIY a "Hobby", something you do to save money, or something you do due to the difficulty of finding a competent tradesman ? (probably a combination of all three).

I'm not sure if fixing cassettes would come in the category of Hobby or not.

Splicing together reel to reel tapes to make jingles and sketches definitely would be a hobby and in the case of DJ Kenny Everett what started as a teenage hobby led to a very successful professional career.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017