1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B & O Boombox on ebay

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Feb 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Did anybody grab that B & O Boombox that just ended on ebay? Throw up some photos when you get it. I thought about it but I really need to organize my growing collection. I always loved B & O Equipment and have a few of their stereo systems components but always wanted to check out one of the boxes and they never come up for sale over here.

I'm trying to figure out the diagram on the panel and I'm digging how the handle protects the top.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1980s...362222?hash=item52057c7aae:g:8ykAAOSwmrNagLZ5

s-l1600.jpg

nickeccles likes this.
  2. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

I'd like to play around with one, but I wouldn't keep it. Just doesn't fit with the rest of my collection.

nickeccles likes this.
  3. Mister X

Were they made in house Reli or outsourced? I think someone on the forum had one years ago but I can't remember the verdict.

nickeccles likes this.
  4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I have one of these, great box, great sound. I like it a lot

nickeccles likes this.
  5. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

average sound nothing special from what members have told me

nickeccles likes this.
  6. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Not sure!

But whenever I think of B&O, I think of this:

nickeccles likes this.
  7. PHILIP[

PHILIP[ Member

I have this B & O Model also >I never really considered it a boombox though but a radio cassette player /The sound was good enough but it was always design that mattered i have some f their Hi -Fi upon the loft inc 2 stereo radio amps ,linear turntable, cassette player (broken when the children were young by one of them grabbing the arm )Two sets of speakers (One amp and set of speakers belongs to my brother -in -law) Again the design was very nice and the system stretched the whole length of a sideboard when set up in a line.I do not know hat to do with themas the postage costs would be astronomical if I were to try and sell them. I cannot get in the loft now as I have severe arthritis and knees ankles in very bad shape s0 i cannot take any pics and I will have to ask my son to go up when he comes home sometime. The reason for my arthritis is evident from the pic on the left.M y best height in 1970 was @.05 metres with a very bad straddle but good enough for !970 Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh and World Student games in Turin When I was student at Liverpool University >Happy days

8. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Outsourced To Philips, Hitachi & others............I would like one - for around £30 :lollegs: :lollegs: :lollegs:

No more than that!

Their VCR's were also Philips & Hitachi...........

Radio Raheem likes this.
  9. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

10. Mister X

Not too glowing of a review Longman, for some reason I thought these might have been a little higher-end units. They're still cool looking and modern but I'll wait for a bargain...

11. isolator42

isolator42 Active Member

I have a couple of these. Inside, it all looks very Philips, esp. the tape mech.
    Looks are the very essence of elegance & build is the usual B&O standard. Sound (IMHO) is adequate, but nothing special.
    Incidentally, the speaker grilles detach to reveal not very attractive drivers which strangely, are mounted non-symmetrically & so it looks pretty weird with them off. Maybe the grilles were made detachable for cleaning, or something.
    Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

nickeccles and Radio Raheem like this.
  12. NevOne

NevOne Member

Ha, never knew that the grilles come off. I have one of these and I quite like it, looks lighter than it is and sounds pretty decent. "The boombox with a monocle" - however not sure why some people want to rob it out of its boombox title.
    Isn't it portable, take batteries and have a handle? More it is one piece for the purists? Wasn't this the definition?

nickeccles likes this.
  13. isolator42

isolator42 Active Member

nickeccles likes this.
  14. Mister X

I wish there was a better photo of the wall bracket, here's all that's in the listing above. It's a sad day when the accessories are worth more than the unit they support. What is the deal with those speakers isolator42? Something is very off with both the placement and rotation. I'm thinking that those are aftermarket speakers, maybe cut into the box to fit. I can't believe that would get by B&O Quality Control.

b & o.jpg

15. isolator42

isolator42 Active Member

here y'go - slightly better pics here:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Ban...017579?hash=item21382741ab:g:oaMAAOSwhdZac0L7

I can confirm that the speakers, while looking wonky as hell, are legit. I have two of these (one silver, one black) & the speakers in both look very similar to the pic above...

& while I'm at it, here's a better pic of that oh-so-80s graphic on the front flap - it's a sort of user guide:
    [​IMG]
    You're looking at 3 analog FM presets on the right & the 'acoustic mode' slider is a tone control. However, turning it down actually boosts the bass. Most tone controls are just a progressive low pass filter (treble cutter). Only ever seen that on this one and a Grundig from ages ago...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    nickeccles and Radio Raheem like this.
  16. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

So it doesn't cut the treble when you turn it down?

17. isolator42

isolator42 Active Member

If memory serves, when sliding to the left, it cuts treble progressively across the entire slider travel, like a bog-standard tone control. However, unlike most, as the slider is moved left of the centre point the bass output is actively boosted.
    Generally, a little left of centre gives the best tonal balance, I think.
    You've engaged my interest now... I have one out at home - I'll have to check...

nickeccles likes this.
  18. PHILIP[

PHILIP[ Member

I must check on the one I have as well

19. isolator42

isolator42 Active Member

Here's where I find out I've got a couple of bodged repair jobs & everyone else's B&O boomer has beautiful drivers...

20. Mister X

Something's odd about the drivers but B&O has some high end equipment so it wouldn't surprise me if they evaluated the sound and thought a different height made it sound better. The stamped baskets don't scream B&O especially since they have a removable cover.