1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought this deck cheap for dolby s

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Radio Raheem, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I've learned quite a bit about Dolby S!

Who says you're too old to learn?

Radio Raheem likes this.
  2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

What this means? please stick to common english, otherwise we the non-english spoken have problems to understand... :iconconfused:

3. walkman archive

who are you replying to?

4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

The message was meant to read (there you go lads, but i couldn.t see the mistype as im going blind, sorry about that

nickeccles and Brutus442 like this.
  5. Brutus442

It's a rhetorical question Hugo. It's a very common statement that points out as we age, we never stop learning new things. It's more of a response to an old English statement that "You can't teach and old dog, new tricks". Well I'm the old dog and I've learned something new:nodding:

I had no idea about anything related to Dolby S and I've learned so much from this thread about it!:thumbsup:

nickeccles and Radio Raheem like this.
  6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@walkman archive: I hear you!! I knew that I was making a mistake when selling Nak LX-5 restored for me by Willy Hermann. But there is no space for two decks here and LX-3 is dear to me because I fixed it myself! Recording quality will be seriously compromised by boombox playback anyway...

7. walkman archive

Well, what I was asking is the meaning of that phrase ("there you go lads"). Actually "lads" is a word I've never seen. I'm now using google translator for that and I can see it translates it well ('lads" = "boys"), but as it's a "rare" word for all of us non-english spoken people it makes harder to follow the discussion.
    It's great to have all of you and we learn a lot, but please don't forget this is an international forum and there are many people from other countries :)
    So I think you will help us if you use regular expressions and avoid "common daily" expressions. :beg
    Sorry to bother you.

Ahh, yes. Ok, thanks for clarifiying. Again, excuse my poor understanding of english. I try hard to learn your daily expressions and I think I became better at that since I first joined this forum back in 2010 but foreign statements are "another world" of knowledge.
    I'm quite surprised that you had never seen Dolby S. Almost all decks released since 1992 or so had it, and it was the big feature. I remember SONY brochures to state "Dolby S" with big letters beside the photo of every deck.
    I bet you switched to CDs and digital and forget decks back then :fisch

Brutus442 likes this.
  8. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

It's no bother Hugo but i have been using the word Lads for about 15 years on here, where have you been haha:wink: Btw is you're name Hugo Wa my mind is drawing a blank at the moment, i think i have had a slight stroke but im not sure my friend, im just under stress at the moment as i have had more bad news about a friend of mine:wink:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    nickeccles and Brutus442 like this.
  9. Brutus442

I bet you switched to CDs and digital and forget decks back then

Guilty as charged, Hugo!
    I jumped on the CD bandwagon and left the cassette world behind me. A big mistake now that I've grown older and slightly wiser:wink:

nickeccles and Radio Raheem like this.
  10. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

I know a few people here there and everywhere refuse to use any Dolby, but I hate the hiss, it's like someone breathing in my ears. Dolby S has always sounded pretty good to me, except when the there's an issue with the transports, but if the heads are aligned properly and it's not mistracking it just works and removes the hiss. I personally have never seen any advantage to leaving Dolby off and no one has been able to explain, I think it could be causing issues with the transport on other people's decks or something. It works really well on my KA6es.
    I don't understand your reasoning here, you're saying the point of listening to analog 'is' hiss?? You do realise that a heap of songs were mastered with DBX, Dolby A and SR right?

11. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

No body needs to convince or explain why they don’t use Dolby to you, we all like different things and sounds. Use it don’t use it’s about you and what you like not what everyone else likes.

The better your equipment / quality tapes the quieter it will sound. It’s like records people think it always has pops and clicks, again the better your player is and cleaner your records are the quieter it will sound. All my records new or old goes through my record cleaner before they are played. The first time a friend came round mine I played her a record and she said where is the clicks and pops. It was so quiet that it could have been a CD in a good way. I do have noisy records and that is because they have not been well looked after as they are second hand and I don’t know the history.

If you don’t like hiss, you have various options.
    1 - Use Dolby which will not get rid of all hiss.
    2 - Use better equipment / tapes
    3 – Go digital / stay away from analogue

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  12. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

I'm not worried what other people use, I just don't like people telling me and others to stop using it as though it's blasphemy.

Strangelove likes this.
  13. subcode

subcode New Member

For my preferences Dolby is very important for hiss reduction. Two of my decks have Dolby S but i rarely use it for compatibility reasons. Although dolby claims that dolby s tapes sound good on dolby b equipment, i disagree (unnatural treble). I stick with Dolby B and a quality chrome tape. But i must admit that Dolby S sounds very good with minimal hiss even with a normal bias tape. The sad thing is that came too late and other convenient recoding formats appeared like Mini Disc and DCC.

PJ0688 likes this.
  14. Virgil Gheorghiu

Virgil Gheorghiu Member

IMG_0023.jpg I have an Aiwa xk-s9000 (with Dolby S) and regularly record tapes. I also have a couple of Dolby SR standalone encoder/decoder PCBs that I am slowly working into inserting into the signal path of my Pioneer RT-909 reel-to-reel recorder. Dolby S is exceptional, it gives very good dynamics and an extremely low, CD-like noise floor (S/N ratio is better than 90dB with it on). I am using the Aiwa unit to master Logic Pro songs I have recorded with my band before returning it back into digital land.

For example:
    https://www.reverbnation.com/reboottheband/song/22449226-first-bite
    has been recorded entirely digitally and then mastered on this recorder before being posted on the above website.

HTH,
    Virgil

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017