1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WM-DD center gear prototype is here (EDIT - final version is here)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by mihokm, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Please check your PM

2. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hi Marian
    Please sign me also up to contribute to the Costs !

Jorge likes this.
  3. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hi Marian
    What a Nice job you are doiing! I am sure that a lot of people is in need of that center gear! Please be sure to send me a short message when they are avalable!
    Lots of succes!!

Jorge likes this.
  4. 16s

16s Member

Hi Marian, I will contribute. I have a DD30 that needs bringing back to life.

Let me know when and how to contribute.

Rich

Jorge likes this.
  5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Me too... I do not have any Walkmans but what you did should not go unpunished! I am setting aside $100 off my PayPal account towards your success, let us know when/where to transfer. Warmest regards, Bro ;-)

6. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

I'm so happy that so many good people and walkman lovers are here. With your help and support it is much easier, now. I'm glad that I'm not alone and result will be work of all of us.
    Thank you to all who did or will contribute. Also, any good advice is very appreciated. Big thank you.:)

Marian

sickly_b likes this.
  7. philip

philip New Member

Hi Marian

I will be contributing soon as well!

8. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hi Marian
    I am a new member of this fantastic community, and have Some kind of suggestion About the donation/support for the gear . To make iT easier for all the interested people, Should iT not better to be clear and open to all ? Something like:
    By supporting 100€, you send 2 sets, or something like that? I think iT is for all Some kind of win-win situation.... And easier to donate....
    I like to see Some reactions or advice from all the other members too!

9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

mini-Kickstart for the "initiated": solid idea!! Someone has to set the page though, plus I got a feeling that the Dude is almost there with the help of those who know him. If not, then maybe site owners can help with the page?

10. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

I have mentioned earlier in this thread that I will have prepared free center gears for anyone who helps. Or I can help by fixing walkmans. Those who came into contact with me, know very well that I do not fix walkmans for money. I spend several hours with each and what I get for repair covers hardly tools and parts cost. I like this hobby and I want it to stay hobby.

I do not want this project to be clearly business oriented. Otherwise it would never be successful. Lot of enthusiasm, energy and will is needed, first. I already spent lot of energy and quite lot of money to support this project. Now, I can say that it will be successful. Also, thanks to you, who help. I have working prototypes and it is very important. I do not expect positive business case. Even if I sell one kit for 30 EUR, I have to pay 12% eBay fee, 6% PayPal fee, other hidden fees, tax from registered business is 25%, health and social insurance, every day I have to prepare shipments, go to post office.... When I get 10 EUR, I can be happy. Life here in Europe is not easy :(

11. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Marian, you know you have our support. If you need something for us to do, just ask.
    Creating a page is not as easy; it's best to just open a new thread and close it to comments if you wish. I can post it in my blog too.

I can do international transfers easily and for free, so count on me.

12. Reimar

Reimar New Member

Marian, you are awesome. You have such great talent and you are yet so humble. I donated some money for this project, too. Looking forward to finally really fix all my beautiful DDs – no more hacky cutting & gluing the center wheel <3

13. mrn

mrn Member

Hi.
    I would suggest to set up a wordpress page.
    Something like DDGears.wordpress.com.
    Making a simple tutorial, w few images on how to replace the gear. And putting a paypal link somewhere in the column menü on the page. By using Wordpress you let ppl to discuss, comment. Even more important: to give feedback. I would try out how big the demand is, by just offering it without setting up a business and paying 25%. Once you sell let say 100 pieces and see the much much bigger demand, situ will change.
    Having a dedicated webpage with well defined and easy to remember web address is a key. Hackaday, gizmodo and million other online news will refer to it. I know it, i have been there w the Touchmods mics. We thought there is a need for maybe 20-30 pieces, and ended up selling 100x more.
    Good luck!

Jorge and Helaba like this.
  14. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

I think 40 to 50€ for a set is realistic

15. Simon

Simon Active Member

Hi Marian, I would also support with some cash. I do not have any DD's right now but I will get in future so I would be happy to donate towards set up and production. Please let me know when something is set up and I also support your excellent work.

Jorge likes this.
  16. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Thank you all. I think any comments, positive or negative are welcome.

I will post any updates, as soon as I have them. Now I'm waiting until I receive the final version of the support rings. I do not want to order final gear production until I receive them. Better test them 10x and then place one final order. I also did research with small screws producer. I will need special, custom M1.4, length 1.3 mm screws made. He told me that minimum order quantity is half million. There are many producers, I have to find one who is willing to accept lower MOQ. These are simple details, but these need to be solved as well. Luckily, it is not show stopper. Standard M1.4 screw can be used as well, after few modifications.
    I'm planning to develop my own e-shop for cassette parts. I did similar project few months ago. So much interesting things to do and so little time I have :(

17. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Ok, so I sent you 50 Euros, that's all I could spare at the moment, is that alright?

18. Reimar

Reimar New Member

19. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Thank you so much. I'm really glad that I'm not alone and that I found such great support here.

PJ0688 likes this.
  20. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

I have these screws but they're not good. The head width is much smaller. Also, length does not fit. These are much better:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272492794153

1.3 mm fits well. For better results, the head should be even wider and thinner. I prepared screw drawing and now I'm getting quotations from various producers.