1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony WM-D3

Discussion in 'Gear you want' started by subcode, Apr 2, 2017.

1. subcode

subcode New Member

I'm searching for an wm-d3 professional walkman.

What's a good price for a good cosmetic condition one?
    What amount of money would you pay for a working or a not working one (cracked gear, corroded battery terminals e.t.c?)

Thanks in advance!

2. subcode

subcode New Member

Update:

I've just pulled the trigger and bought this--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkman-SON...pHPQGadv3efKWqY%2FfCc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
    62€ + 15€ shipping (77€ total)

Although the pictures are dark, i see corroded (+)battery terminal (green residue at battery cover)... The best scenario is corroded terminals (no power) and cracked gear. The worst is burned ic or dc-dc converter...

Hope that it's fixable :scratch2:

3. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Any particular reason you wanted a D3? for me D6C is the one to go for. Any way you now have a D3 coming, hope it works out for you.

4. subcode

subcode New Member

Because d3 is cheaper and is more compact for everyday use. I know D6C is the absolute best and is my next purchase if i could find one at a reasonable price.

5. TooCooL4

Okay i see. The D3 is cheaper for a reason.
    You should be able to pick up a D6C for a reasonable price as there are thousands of them out there, since they where made from 1984 - 2003 i think.

6. subcode

subcode New Member

Yeah i'll keep an eye on it... I Hope i'll find a nice one at a good price

7. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I think it would be very difficult to get a D6C for the price you paid for D3.
    Anyway, I have several D3, 2 of them repaired by Marian and they sound really good.

8. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

This is not the right subforum for this... It should be in "Gear you want". Moved to there.

9. TooCooL4

subcode check your PM

10. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Oh Boodokhan,
    I am looking for a D3 too.... Is iT that worse then a D6C? What does iT cost to repair a cracked gear ?

11. Boodokhan

D3 is a good portable recorder but i think D6C is a better option. I get better recording By D6C compare to D3
    D6c is more expensive than a D3.

a usual central gear crack cost is about 30-60 US dollar but you have to pay higher if your walkman has more issues

12. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

I understand... But i have the feel that the D6C is an inbetween model... To big to be a walkman.. And as we are in 2017, for field recording, there are better options.... So, i think for fun and an occasional concert recording, the D3 is great! Did you ever record a live concert? Do you know what would be a good microphone? Or are there members with experience ? IT would be great to find them!

13. Boodokhan

D3 is a good recorder and with the restored one you can get really good recording. I have tried recording through line in but as i said never done it through microphone with any D3.
    To answer your question about microphones, my knowledge is very limited but i prefer the microphone comes with D6C. I used D6C to record live radio via microphone and D6C microphone worked slightly better than other walkman microphones i have.

I do not know which microphone is the best and i am sure other members can answer this question.

14. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

The D3 (or TCD3 as it was called in the UK) is a solid machine. I have two, one of which was recently repair by Marian. It sounds great.
    Granted, its not a D6C, but still packs a punch if serviced well.

I have quite an affinity with the D3, having received my original as an 18th birthday present in 87. This is the next one to be sent to M. I have a very sentimental attachment to it.

15. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Oh, and I recently did some field recording with the newly serviced one with a Rode NT-4. Stunning!

16. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hi CC
    Nice to hear! I am sure that that birthday present Will 4 ever one of your heart .... And that is important , the commitment with the item! Wow, i can imagine that the recording with that rode is fantastic! It is way out of my league..... Dont you have Some kind of cheaper mics recommandaties that are good for concert recording?

17. febed01

febed01 New Member

It's so solid that I called mine "Bruce Willis" ;) I got it from the bay for 1€ as non working. And indeed it's scratched from everywhere, the plastic window is missing, the counter doesn't work, the body is slightly deformed so you have to pry it a little after pushing the play button to let the mechanism start, and the FF/REW functions works only with some specific cassettes... But it still delivers very good sound and records very well too... Like Bruce Willis, at the end of the movie he's broken from everywhere but is still badass even standing on half a leg ;)

Helaba likes this.