1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1988 Dixons Newspaper advert

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Longman, Dec 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

There is a saying in the UK that "todays news is tomorrows chip paper" (they do put greaseproof paper in the middle for those not familiar with Fish and Chips).

Somehow a large chunk of this Newspaper survived and has been in a box with my Christmas decorations.
    A page which might be of interest to Stereo2Goers is below. Dixons 1988.JPG
    I am surprised at the low cost of the Aiwa CD. In 1989 the cheapest standalone CD player I could find was £100 new.

Mystic Traveller and retro like this.
  2. retro

retro Active Member S2G Supporter

Nice, Akai had some really unusual designs.

3. docs

docs Member

The back end of an era :( though I'm not sure Dixons ever had any top quality boxes we have come to know and love.
    Thanks for sharing.

4. Longman

Dixons were definitely mass market although they did sell the Sharp VZ2000 / VZ2500 (I have brochures showing them).
    I'm not sure who sold the top of the line boxes in the UK.
    To this day I have never seen a Sharp GF777 except in photos. Someone like Dixons must have sold the
    GF555 as they are really common. It amuses me when Ebay sellers claim they are rare. I'm on my second.

5. docs

docs Member

Agree, I think Rumbalows were likely selling slightly better gear, being slightly more upmarket before their downturn.

6. Longman

I probably wasn't taking that much notice of Boomboxes in the mid to late 1980s having moved on to purchases like a VCR and HiFi.
    After lusting after the Akai FD3L in Dixons for £400 back in 1984 I ended up buying one from Richer Sounds for £150 in 1985.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=akai+fd3L+photos&biw=1330&bih=758&tbm=isch&imgil=r3diZC3EP4TeUM%3A%3Bb9GURFcXpiQLpM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.vintage-audio-laser.com%252Fhifi-vintage%252Fdiscussion-generale-t47-91540.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=r3diZC3EP4TeUM%3A%2Cb9GURFcXpiQLpM%2C_&usg=__SY1vMMRz3xj5jkP5HayEbvOyPEw=&dpr=1.25&ved=0ahUKEwi3koHKyYrRAhUKMVAKHcevCXoQyjcIOQ&ei=PjtdWLf7JYriwALH36bQBw#imgrc=SC45XmcmgSyWeM:

I did have to drive from Bristol to Birmingham to get it though as back then Richer Sounds only had two branches, London and Birmingham.

7. docs

docs Member

No me either at that time, far too skint and too busy poppin, spinning and gliding, windmill combining.. ;)

8. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

A piece of the past - thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: