1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of recent bargains

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Longman, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Using this site (and running out of space for larger items) seems to have given me the Personal Stereo collecting bug, although as always I like to find things that I think are a bargain. As I listen to the radio far more than cassettes I have been looking out for personal radios including those built into cassette or MP3 players.

My first recent purchase a Panasonic RQ-V85 certainly came into the bargain category. It isn't often you see an Ebay auction starting at 1p - you need to be brave or foolish to do it - so when I saw this one I put in a bid of 10p. At the end of the auction I was still the only bidder !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-cassette-walkman-RQ-V85-with-FM-radio-/362026779375?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=FppzsNUVsvbc5WQvKgwEgzEQbQ4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The seller had quoted the Royal Mail Price of £3.90 for recorded delivery, but realising that after paying Ebay commision they would actually be making a loss I suggested they sent it normal post.

Of my £3.91 payment it ended up being split

Royal Mail £2.90
    Ebay and Paypal - about 40p
    Seller about 61p

A few days after paying the Pansonic turned up nicely packed. There are two small problems with it.

The first which was mentioned in the auction spring that snaps the door to the open or closed position isn't working. Does anyone know where this is. Looking at my RQ E27V it must be burried deep in the hinge somehow.

The other is that the sound is a bit muffled which might be as simple as head cleaning and alignment.
    IMG_8989.JPG IMG_8990.JPG IMG_8991.JPG IMG_8992.JPG

The second was a Toshiba KT4038 purchased for £2 at the recent Hamfest Radio rally. The radio works but guess the tape needs new belts.

I think the seller was the same one who has had several boomboxes over the previous years, but this year all they had was a large Black Sanyo three piece with Digital Tuner that didn't look particularly appealing to me.
    Amusingly they also had one of those little Plastic Covered boxes for 7" singles which they wanted £5 for. They obviously believe the Vinyl revival is stronger than that for cassettes.

IMG_8994.JPG IMG_8995.JPG IMG_8997.JPG IMG_8998.JPG IMG_8999.JPG

Both these go to prove you don't need to spend big money to get into cassettes.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Mystic Traveller and Chris like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Active Member

Congrats on those great finds, it just goes to show what great bargains you can get if you wait for the right opportunity.

I would say that the vinyl resurgence is definitely stronger than that of cassettes but £5 is still a bit much for a plastic box lol

Longman likes this.
  3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Yeah this seems like a lot of fun for so very little, i think this is a skill better than spending big. Anyone can find a gem whilst spending a chunk. Its so much more satisfying to spend a little amount for something cool :thumbsup:

Longman likes this.
  4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Nice comment. Last night I was watching a TV programme on "The Worlds Most Expensive Cars". A bloke spent $8 million on an old Aston Martin, probably a few $100 thousand getting it restored (despite it having been restored fairly recently) all to win third prize in its class at the Pebble Beach car show :scratch2

5. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

I opt for Tosh! ;)