1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aiwa HS-p202MKIII RECAP

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by doublecee, Jun 8, 2017.

1. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

https://instagram.com/p/BVbwmH_lD-I/

So here we go.

The old caps all removed and now soaking the board.
    I have dozens of cans of spray isopropyl so before slacking gave the board a good blast and that did a great job. Now soaking for a few hours.

The board has a circle for each cap and each circle has a little painted nipple to denote polarity. This nipple was aligned with the striped side of the cap.

I'm assuming I follow suit with the new caps?

Also, a couple of the caps are about 1.5mm too tall for the recess so I may have to get creative.

kitchen10 likes this.
  2. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

WoW CC ... Thats better then a pro car wash! I would never dare to do that! Is that bath Gilles with high concentration isopropyl? Have you a before and after pic? I am curious of the final result!

3. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

im two caps short.... as the values in the thread dont match the caps that came off the board... or i mis-ordered. Either way, i cant pick this up till the lastthree caps types arrive

4. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

another question....

the 22uF 6.3V cap.... is it the dc version or just normal?

5. bub

bub Active Member

Always check your unit for the right caps- even the service manual can have an error or the wrong revision.
    I have no idea what you mean by "dc version". Caps have polarity, that's about it.

Which caps are 1.5mm too tall? I'm assuming you bought caps I specced, which are the shortest/smallest I could find. I've recapped a few alphas and haven't come across this problem, although your exact board is different to most I've seen.

6. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

I decided to stay with the same values as the caps that came off the board. But this meant that I had to order some SM caps for the 2v caps.

RS site was ok, but managed to get everything I needed from Farnel

Also got a replacement LED (same nipple type) but in green (so I know it's one I serviced). Then opted for a load more as they were super cheap and I'll salvage the legs to mount the SM versions that I could not get as through hole.

Also added some nice heat shrink and some neoprene strips to add support to the sm mods (using hot glue between the and and neoprene but NOT between the neoprene and pcb).

Should resume all work by Monday when everything is to hand.

I have several 202 units of differing versions. If this works as planned, I'll probably do them all, as it's only a matter of time before I'd need to anyway. And I'm hoping they will all sound awesome. But let's see how this first volunteer unit goes

sickly_b likes this.
  7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I just noticed you linked to this post. What was the outcome ?