1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aiwa L22 Left channel problem

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by DutchNick, Sep 23, 2017.

1. DutchNick

DutchNick Member

My newly-rebelted and generally playing-OK Aiwa L22 cassette deck shows a definite lack of signal strength, and a noticeable muddiness (or dominance of bass), in the left channel. This is quite obvious from listening and adjusting the channel balance, and the meters on the deck itself are showing a clear difference in right/left signal strength although I don't know how reliable these are.

I have noticed that lightly applying weight to the front corner of the cassette, which slightly alters its physical relationship to the head, lightens the sound (decreases the muddiness and *seems* to enhance the treble). I've tried adjusting the rest position of the cassette carriage, but this isn't very effective and seems like the wrong approach anyway.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this is a mechanical alignment or 'reading' problem, or a problem in the deck's circuits, and how either of these could be addressed? Thanks in advance - Nick.

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I would say its electronics problem, 30+ y.o. electrolytics do not "age" well... Did you try headphones-out vs line-out?
    Try Googling your model, that is how I narrowed down OCD in my busted Nakamichi deck.

DutchNick likes this.
  3. DutchNick

DutchNick Member

Thanks for responding Jorge. I don't have a phones option, unfortunately - this is a half-size collectible "micro" component with line out only though, oddly, two mics can be plugged in the back panel; overdone inputs and underdone outputs but I guess they saved space and money by not including a headphone amp. I'm going to continue hoping there's a mechanical solution (head alignment?) as I don't have the skills to troubleshoot electronics at that level.

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I would offer my free services but shipping will offset your buying a "real" deck (Nakamichi is the only way to go, IMHO). If u can get Service Manual with schematics for the deck, you got yourself a perfect DIY project: since one channel is OK its a matter of minutes (well, in my case hours!) to get to the busted part

DutchNick likes this.
  5. DutchNick

DutchNick Member

Wow - that's a seriously kind offer and a shame we can't follow it through - thank you! I have the manual, no idea if it has the right detail, if you can point me to a 'dummies' type resource for troubleshooting components that would be v helpful! I have a Pioneer CT93 and a CT91 which I hope qualify as real decks but neither is as cute as the Aiwa :)
    Thanks
    Nick

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

With Pioneers you do qualify as a serious "tapehead" :)
    Aiwa SD-L22 is a cutie, I agree! I still remember my pain when selling H/K Festival 500 mini-system. Upgrading one set of black boxes for another set of black boxes is so much easier...
    Service Manual for L22 is available from HiFiEngine.com, then its just a matter of tracing the signals from line-out to the rec/playback head.
    But before diving there do yourself a favor and get as much info on what is going on as you can: how it plays prerecorded tapes, how it records/plays tapes, how tapes recorded on L22 play on other decks. Note the original position and play with a spring-loaded head azimuth/alignment screw, note what happens.