1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone is in for some rock exchange?

Discussion in 'Cassettes & Mixtape exchange' started by walkman archive, May 15, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Sadly the Nakamichi Dual-Tracer 550 doesn't work well. Strangely, it worked perfectly when I tested it but once I picked up and took home it doesn't sound... these devices do sometimes strange things like that.
    I think the transport causes some stress in some components, because it happened to me more than once.

2. walkman archive

Ivica, we're just starting so feel free to make you offer to someone/everyone, publicly or privately. As I said, I want to share some rock, hard rock and alt. rock, so if you are ready for that, we can start.
    I only would like the recording to have a minimun decent quality (preferably recorded on a deck rather than on a walkman or boombox). I'll use type II tapes and record on one of my decks, mostly from vinyl. :music:
    If you need advice to do good recordings on a deck, I can suggest you to read my guide:
    http://walkman-archive.com/articles/guide-good-recordings_01.html

and then, if you want more, this one:
    http://walkman-archive.com/articles/guide-excellent-recordings_01.html

3. Chris

Chris Active Member

Ok, I've just bought the Sony TC-K570. Can't wait until it arrives so I can start recording!

4. Ivica

Ivica New Member

Hugo,
    I am ready. I have two good decks, serviced and calibrated revently; Marantz SD60 and Onkyo Integra TA2570. I am OK with type II tapes and prefer no Dolby. Also Rock and Alternative Rock are OK. I dont have turntable, I am looking for something good and not expensive. My soutce are CDs and flac from computer. I have DAC which you mentioned on your article for recording.

Best Regards
    Ivica

5. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hi Hugo
    How Sad to hear!! What is wrong with the 550? Is iT a playback issue?

6. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Strange that iT happened with the 550, who is very sturdy bild and made to transport in the first place.....

7. walkman archive

Great, that sounds so well. I see you went directly for the SONY I recommended :nodding:. That's agreat -and cheap- deck. If it works properly you can do awesome recordings with it; you'll see... :thumbsup:

Ok, I'll send you a PM.

Chris likes this.
  8. walkman archive

Yes, it's sad. It's a playback issue. The tape rolls but the music can barely be heard in the background so low. In the front there's a slight clicking sound. It rewinds, FF and all that, but doesn't sound :nonoplease.
    Time to visit @Sergi... (the tech expert)

9. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I'd be down to join in the rock exchange.
    The Pioneer CT-S99WR is in mighty fine shape and all cleaned up.
    All i need is to figure out how the post office work in Italy.
    Anyone interested in 70's classic, hard and alternative?
    Though quick question for rock do you guys prefer to record in chrome or ferric?

10. walkman archive

I don't mind to record two tapes rather than one...

Regarding shipping, I don't have any idea how it works in italy, but when Dr Walkman ships something to me he always use registered, tracked shipping. that's the only recommendation I'll give.

PS: Now I remember that he used "Paco Celere". Does that mean something to you?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  11. walkman archive

In my experience, rock can be very well recorded on ferric tapes, especially good ones (like SONY HF-S or TDK AD).
    I usually use chromes or metal for everything, but the thing is: the louder the music, the noisier the tape can be. You'll only notice the hiss between songs, but that's something I don't worry at all.

Another advice I can give you is to take good care of the levels when recording, and the peaks. If the song has compressed dynamic range (the loudness war), so the levels move very little, try to not go further the Dolby mark, with chromes. With standard ferrics I think it will be better to stay at -1 or -2 under Dolby mark, or the distortion in cimbals will be high.

I have explained this in a video:

If the levels are "jumping" quite well, just focus on the peaks.
    • With standard ferric tapes, don't let the peaks go more than one VU step over Dolby mark.
    • With good ferrics you can go up to 2 or 3 over Dolby mark.
    • With standard chromes (like CDIng), don't go over 1 or 2.
    • With good chromes (like TDK SA, SONY UX), you can go up to 3.
    • With metals you can go from 3 to 5 over Dolby mark, depending on the tape itself.
    Ocasionally peaks can reach 1 or 2 VU steps higher, but only ocasionally.
    Remember that you must forget the '0' mark on your deck's scale as the reference point. The true reference point is the dolby mark, which is always the same for every deck out there.
    You can find more information in my guide to make excellent recordings:
    http://walkman-archive.com/articles/guide-excellent-recordings_05.html

I hope this makes the whole thing even more enjoyable :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Chris and Helaba like this.
  12. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Nice job Hugo!

walkman archive likes this.
  13. Chris

Chris Active Member

Just picked my Sony deck up from London, went on the tube so I had to change trains about 3 times and it took me about 7 hours to get there and back...oh and it was REALLY heavy...

Anyway, I've started using it and I'm finding it difficult to adjust the recording volume, bias and balance to the right levels. It seems that the recording is either really quiet or really loud, there's nothing in-between. I briefly looked at your recording guides yesterday @walkman archive but I'll read them a bit more thoroughly now, that recording video you posted will be helpful too.

14. walkman archive

Sad to hear that.
    What do you mean with either quiet or loud? The main rec knob does scratch? Doesn't work smoothly?

15. Chris

Chris Active Member

No, I think it's something I'm doing wrong but I've never done it before so I suppose it takes time to learn how to do it properly.

16. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Have you tried opening her up, see if there is any dust, blown caps, liquid residue? That kind of stuff hinders the controls as well as the quality of what you produce.

17. Chris

Chris Active Member

No I haven't yet, might take a look tomorrow.

18. walkman archive

I suggest you to take it to a good technician depending on what you find inside...

19. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

@Chris
    I think the best thing to start is to clean the potentiometer of the recording level....

20. Chris

Chris Active Member

Turns out there's nothing wrong with the deck...I just plugged the red cable into a white socket...whoops.