1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batteries for Walkmans

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Jorge, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Need your help in choosing my first Walkman for portable use. My WM-D6 is not portable enough to my tastes, I am looking for something smaller. One of the threads that I followed here had mentioned that some AIWA players sound as good (or better) as Sony DD series. So, I removed "Sony" from my eBay Walkmans search and Yes, there are some real "cute", all-metal AIWAs and Panasonics out there!!! Who would have known!?!
    My Question is:
    which batteries are being used in which Walkmans? AAA, AA, gumstick, proprietory NiMH??
    It looks like AIWAs have some kind of NiMH batteries inside, plus extra gondolas for AA (or AAA?) batteries.
    Do all Sony's use AA batteries? What about Panasonic?
    I do not want to end up with a Walkman working of some unobtanium dried-out NiMH battery. My Discmans collection has taught me that it takes a lot of research and efforts to restore non-standard NiMH batteries, and also that I won't rest until its been done :(

2. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

I was using a WM 30 for a while as my daily. Sold all my daily ones :) But I think I've found my next daily. I recently bought an Aiwa HS U07. Was not working and in need of a new belt. I'm not too familiar with Aiwa's but after giving it a clean and replacing the belt I was surprised with the sound quality. A basic player with auto reverse and it uses two AAA batteries. So far I'm really liking it.

Jorge likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Active Member

All the Sonys I own use AA batteries but I know that's not the case for all other Sony models. I think generally, the thinner models use separate battery packs.

I take my TPS-L2 with me when I go out because it's the smallest model I own (and everyone recognizes it from a certain Marvel film...).

Jorge likes this.
  4. StaticAudio

StaticAudio Active Member

Some of the more expensive Aiwas from the 80's use a 2V Lead battery. If you have one of these batteries they are always completely worn out and do not hold any charge at all anymore. And unfortunately, these lead batteries are not made new anymore. These Aiwas can be used with a separate batterycase for AA of AAA batteries (if you have this case, sometimes they are broken too, due to the plastics used), but the walkman gets al lot bulkier with the case connected to it.

In the old forum someone made an alternative '2V' battery made from two smaller 1.2V NiMH batteries connected together and this seemed to work.

Higher models Panasonic and some Sony's use a 1.2V NiCd gumstick battery, the originals also are worn out, but you can get some no-name NiMH replacements from ebay. These batteries should work in these models. The Panasonic models I have/had also has the opportunity to connect a separate battery case for an AAA battery.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Jorge likes this.
  5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Thank you guys! Wish there was a link to the old forum, I would love to get higher-end Aiwa but without its original dead battery it will be very difficult to make a substitute. Guess I get Panasonic first, they all seem to use gumstick NiMH still available new.
    Once @mihokm finalizes DD center-gear it will be safe to get one of these, myguess...

6. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Hi Jorge
    I know you mentioned that you removed Sony from your list but Sony DD series are still the best option.
    Get a DC2 and you will be set for long time. If you cannot find a good DC2 any DD walkman will be OK.
    most Aiwa walkmans are great with good sound quality but if you go with Aiwa make sure to get one recently serviced by a professional . It is very difficult to service Aiwa walkmans. most of them have capacitor issues and changing the belt on them is also very very difficult. I do not recommend anything with drumstick batteries. go with regular batteries.

Jorge likes this.
  7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Already bought one dead Panasonic with AA gondola, once @mihokm finalizes center-gear I will get Sony DD. There is one boxed available off ebay with no sound for just $105, exactly the challenge I am looking for ;-)

8. mary lee

mary lee New Member

Old AIWA players still my favorite. Now I can use the modified batteries for all the AIWA cassette players. Bought from Ebay a set of 3 a few months ago PB5, PB4 and PB3. Work great. Charging uses a USB cable.

Attached Files:

Middachten and kitchen10 like this.
  9. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

Most Sony models use AA batteries. Later electronically-controlled units (metal-cased EX series models, mainly) usually use NH-14WM type gumsticks, with an optional AA battery caddy which screws on. The 'Vapex' gumstick batteries work very well, I use one in my (purple) WM-EX674, which is my daily driver. Most slimline Panasonic models also use the same size gumstick as the Sony models, with an optional battery caddy. There are a few exceptions to this, as you would expect with such varied product lines.

Henry

10. Middachten

Middachten Member

I have been searching for these on Ebay but can't find them. Do you have a link for me?

11. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Me too... I found that eBay listing through Google, but I think it was a one-time deal: the guy had a few dead batteries and restored them. Right now I am waiting for Aiwa HS-P202 MkIII arrival, then I will try to get batteries from here

12. mary lee

mary lee New Member

Seller is : wickedkraft

Lately not putting up any as I was told the original AIWA batteries are running out. Contact the Seller. Understand he will do it for you once he gets supply of the old batteries. He sold quite a number and buyers are all happy with them.

13. mary lee

mary lee New Member

She just put up an PB-S5. Ebay Item No. 282640772390

14. Middachten

Middachten Member

Thanks for the notification!
    That one is sold to someone in the Netherlands now :biggrin:

15. mary lee

mary lee New Member

That was fast. Just put up a couple of hours ago.

16. Middachten

Middachten Member

That someone was me...
    (I know, I have a very bad sense of humor)

17. colimaxp

colimaxp New Member

Can I ask how much were they? Thanks

18. mary lee

mary lee New Member

Around $30, $32. PB5 ($32)