1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer and Boomboxes!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 23, 2017.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

hehe, still quite festive over there ;-)

Jorge likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Yes! My strict all-Catholic Boss allowed me to keep The Spirit and Christmas Tree until Ukrainian Orthodox Christmas (that would be today). Being an Ukrainian Orthodox Atheist (of Pastafarian Denomination) I am doing my best to follow the Scriptures of my religion. Rules are good when you need an excuse for another beer: and Friday night is when all Pastafarians rejoice! Rachmaninov's Vespers never let me down:drinks Festivities under BeeGees and Yello usually follow...:wink2

autoreverser likes this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

4. autoreverser

...nothing better in the eve than booze, some pinball and a boombox - fresh from the fridge: allgäuer büble beer and fresh from the post a Sanyo M7800K from nick, pinball is a 1992 Williams IJ

:groupwave

IMG_3933.JPG

Mister X, deech, Jorge and 3 others like this.
  5. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Glad it finally arrived Conrad!!

What is it with me & couriers?? :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm

Strange seeing it again so far away from here :wink:

Hope you enjoy it buddy :reelspin: :reelspin:

Pinball machine is huge :shock :shock :shock looks great all lit up too!!

Brutus442 likes this.
  6. autoreverser

...yesterday eve in our band-room, lank beer - little box :guitarist

IMG_3938.JPG

deech, nickeccles and Jorge like this.
  7. Mister X

There's so much love in that photo, hopefully that poor little guy could keep up with the festivities!

8. Mister X

After a hiatus from the holiday festivities I found a little bundle of joy at my door step. I must have been enjoying Saint Paul's Tin Whiskers Wheat Stone Bridge because I completely forgot this was coming. I'm sure most guys on the forum will know what a tin whisker is and the guys that started the brewery are self-proclaimed engineering geeks and thus take the same approach with their beers as any manufacturing project. I like this one because it is kind of light and refreshing.

The box is the world famous Panasonic RX-C20, 1984's finest list price of close to $550.00 USD! I just about fell over when I saw it for sale and double-checked it several times because the photos made it look huge. It lives up to the hype, very deep, heavy and AIWA Style Controls (I love those AIWA's with the small controls). The speakers seem to throw the sound at you in a good way. I've got a 34 year old Triumph Tape I'm auditioning, so if you see this box, follow your heart!

DSCN0641sm.jpg

9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Should get or fix myself some new bboxes to have an excuse to open a beer! Until then, going for some hot milk :(

nickeccles and Mister X like this.
  10. Mister X

For the first time in over 10 years the weather guys were right, we got close to 16" of beautiful snow. I finally got free for the day and headed out to the shed to see if my 1993 Yamaha Snowblower would still fire up after a couple years of sitting. These blowers (or throwers for the Canucks) are really rare around here and almost like boomboxes, they deliver when asked and tonight was no exception, a little starting fluid and some good gas and it fired right up. I'm out of stash so I really had to dig into the shelves to find something drinkable and lo and behold, this one goes out to Risingsunproject, I'm not sure if anybody else gets this but it's one of two from the legendary Iron Maiden Band, The Trooper, Red 'N' Black Porter! Bomber size and full of rock and roll flavor! Our local bar had Trooper on tap when Maiden was here this summer, not bad for fly-over country...

My box is a founder's boombox, the Centrex "by Pioneer" RX-113 I think these are 1973 vintage? Perfect for cranking out a little Whitesnake "Slow N Easy." It's on the radio right now but there's no lights on the display, I'm not sure if that is normal. I can't help but compare the otherworldly 4' antenna to Whitesnake, you really have to see it to believe it but I think it is the longest antenna I've ever seen. Centrex was Pioneer's low cost brand, usually associated with all-in-one record/tape/radio units and nothing really special. This guy is bad-ass, it's really heavy and not too big. sound is what you would expect from a little guy but it's pleasurable to listen to on the desk. I'm also loving the three power sources, battery, 6V wall wart and 120V direct wall connection. Pioneer really had it together before they really hit their stride a few years later.

DSCN0643sm.jpg

nickeccles and autoreverser like this.
  11. autoreverser

...i had to celebrate my new MC-S1 yesterday with a nice bavarian "Dieselroß-Öl" beer:

IMG_4115.JPG

nickeccles likes this.
  12. Mister X

Cool bottle! and do you mean CS-M1? I need one of both of those!

13. autoreverser

yep, sir - off course CS-M1 - it's a great unit, need to overhaul the tape-part as it's not working yet, this will only work with manual, AIWA-usual its not self-explaining :read

14. autoreverser

soory, 1/2 off-topic as there's no box, but a turntable:

i'm busy enjoying a few lovely WOLF-BEER with my complete TRANS AM- collection (loud !), as i remembered that they are THE real retro 80'es pop-band - and Seb Thomson is one of the best drummers EVER !

IMG_4116.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

i'm slightly drunk now and i like it :drinks

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  15. Mister X

I'll have to look for some Wolf-Bier! Never heard of Trans-Am, when I get the chance I'll have to get some on and crank it up.

16. autoreverser

17. autoreverser

...small boxes - small beer:

IMG_4141.JPG

one day i'll find the stereo-version :ok

Mister X likes this.
  18. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

image.jpg
    Another Friday night and yours truly ardent Pastafarian is celebrating the Resurrection of one beautiful Philips D8444!!! New gear, new volume pot, repainted grille, this baby is soft on power but soo sexy! And it is Philips, not Magnavox (who in Heaven came up with such a name?!!)
    Full story of her Resurrection is to follow...
    Right now she is singing The Eden House (2017): the epitome of cheesiness :rolleyes: Proper ending for the week when I got a hug from Miss Universe herself at LA Art&Fashion Show 2018 :p

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  19. Mister X

Now I know it, Miss Universe only liked me for my boomboxes, let me know if you see her with a little Sharp QT and a Bobbie Brown Tape....

20. Mister X

I love that box Jorge, I'm hoping the restoration thread is right around the corner. I'm nursing some wounds watching my hockey team get out-muscled so I thought I'd throw out a little guy that can scrap with the rest of them. Almost an underdog but it should be the cornerstone of any collection, the Pioneer SK-31 is what I'd consider as the definition of boombox. It's more of the late 70's size, around 12" high by 16" wide which seems to be pretty standard until the monster boxes came out.

The first impression is that it's heavy but when you hear the handle "click" into it's down detent you know you have real quality. Two meters dance with stereo output and it has a ton of features including a very early music search system. I've been told that the mystery switches labeled BFC-1 and BFC-2 will actually order pizza for you if you have the mics hooked up. I've paired it with New Belgium's Trippel, a Belgian Style Ale. Nice and crisp in the Belgium Tradition, it's killing the pain of watching my team lose in the playoffs.

DSCN0692sm.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    nickeccles likes this.