1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boombox Season is closing!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I always consider December and January official boombox season. Why? the pricing for some models is pennies on the dollar for what they get the rest of the year. I got lucky and picked up some nice little guys to round out my collection, I don't usually like to duplicate unless it's rare or really nice, but I do like to have different odd-ball units. I'm feeling pretty good to get these two guys, the Toshiba RT-CS1 and the Sanyo M-V40X.

Kangaroo Boxes are so neat but the Toshiba is really small with it's cute little speakers and the ability to use it as a portable stereo. Right now it's sitting on the shelf next to the Pioneer SK-Q10 RD and my AIWA HS-J110, more of a statement piece than anything. The size of these guys is more impressive when you have one in your hand (they are really small).

The Sanyo I had to think about, it seems to have a good reputation but all the design cues say cheap plastic 80's junk. Thanks to great forums like S2G, it had great reviews on older threads, I ended up getting it, and I'm glad I did. It has a very glossy plastic finish, maybe ABS,? and the controls look like any other mass marketed box but it isn't. The controls need some positive force to turn them, even the tuner knob is smoother/stiffer than usual and it's pretty heavy even for a small unit. The picture is deceptive, it's a hair bigger than a cassette case standing on end. One thing I don't have are many boxes that aren't gray, black, or silver. In the US I don't remember anyone every owning something without these colors.

I hope everyone else had good hunting, unfortunately it's almost over.

DSCN0656SM.jpg

nickeccles and thid like this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Nice, in like that little Tosh a lit.

3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

All I can think about today is a Sencor bbox sold for a meager $250 off eBay! One of you guys who got it? I had my paypal account at zero, missed the fun!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  4. Patron

Patron Active Member

2 weeks ago I got my new A5 and a c100 parts unit for a project.

5. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

such a shame tone only so id pass on that but in red mmmmm

6. Patron

Patron Active Member

RR I believe the red one is 100V only .

7. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

i buy 50 batteries at a time now Driptip lol

8. Mister X

Mystic Traveller and Patron like this.
  9. Mister X

The Sanyo is pretty cool, it has an old school multi-voltage selector, 120v, 210v, 240v and L/R mic inputs.

10. Patron

Patron Active Member

That sencor is nice, unique look.