1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boomboxes in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Gibraltar, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

Over the the past year or so I've started seeing boomboxes showing up in unexpected places around Tokyo. I'm not a boombox collector but I snapped some photos and thought you guys might like to see them.

Based on the shops that are now selling these it's pretty clear the vintage boombox is a mainstream trend at the moment in Japan. These are apparently all serviced and fully functional, and no doubt priced pretty high (I don't know the market prices for these but the same shops sell $1000 shoes, etc)

The first picture is from Men's Isetan. It's an 8 floor department store dedicated entirely to high-end men's fashion. The top floor hosts rotating 'pop-up' exhibitions selling various non-clothing items like custom coat hangers, books, grooming equipment, etc. These were arranged right next to the coat hangers :)

Some pretty cool looking units along with a couple books on boomboxes:

IMG_0553.JPG

The next set of photos is from a shop called Beams Japan. This is just down the street from Isetan in Shinjuku, and it's also a high-end fashion store, but they sell their own brand. This particular location is actually pretty interesting since each floor has a different theme. One has a gallery with rotating exhibitions, one is housewares made by Japanese craftsmen, and others are mostly clothes.

IMG_9277.JPG

Here's the coffee shop on the first floor:
    IMG_8479.JPG

These shots are from the street-wear floor, where boomboxes fit in nicely with the theme. I took shots on two different occasions:

IMG_9272.JPG

IMG_9273.JPG

IMG_8480.JPG

Finally, I visited a shop called Waltz, which some of you have probably read about online before. It's a dedicated cassette shop which definitely predated the current trend. This place is a treasure trove of used cassettes, but we can save those details for another post...here are a few shots:

IMG_3216.JPG

Here are a few interior shots, highlighting their selection of boomboxes:

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

And finally a shot showing just a part of their cassette selection...new releases on the table in front and used stock on the shelf...have you ever seen anything like this place??
    IMG_3209.JPG

Hope you guys enjoyed this small taste of what Tokyo has to offer. Maybe next time I can do a Walkman themed post :)

nickeccles, C.Tapes, Ken80s and 12 others like this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Interesting.

We went on holiday to Tokyo back in 2006, visiting most of the places in the film Lost in Translation.

Sony.JPG

At the time this TV was the biggest I had ever seen.
    Back then I was more interested in the new technology than the old.

TV.JPG

I don't know if many members will have seen this.

It seems that with new CD Radio Cassettes the Japanese get much better ones than we get in the UK..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Wow what a fantastic post, a real treat thank you. Sounds foolish but i didn't want it to end, i very much enjoyed stepping into that world and pouring over the pictures and admiring the machines. Some really lovely pictures there to.

What a great read thank you.

nickeccles and Brutus442 like this.
  4. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

Glad you guys liked it! When I get a bit more time there are some more photos I can post from Tokyo.

@Longman, hard to believe 2006 was more than 10 years ago! That iconic Sony building in your photo is currently being torn down to be replaced with a park for the 2020 Olympics :(

That 65" TV must have cost a fortune back then! A few years later they had a 100" on display that left a pretty big impression on me too! Sadly the shop you took that photo in also shut down a few years later. At least the building is still there!

5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

@Gibraltar , Can you please provide the address of this place? Do you have any phone number? There is an item in the picture you posted (the one with Suzuki truck) I must contact this place. Any address or phone number can help
    Thanks

Brutus442 likes this.
  6. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

7. Boodokhan

There is an item That i search yahoo japan daily. For now let me keep it secret :lollegs: . Let me call them to see whether or not still available. I am going to make them an offer that they wont refuse. Will keep you posted ( I promise you).:thumbsup:

8. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

wow, i like this !

9. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I am guessing it was BIC Camera.

BIC Camera.JPG

I think the problem is that people don't have to spend as much on electronics as they used to.
    It might also explain the silly prices being paid by enthusiasts for certain old items.

Thinking about our 2006 visit I took my £400 Canon Ixus point and shoot and a £400 JVC Mini DV camcorder.
    Nowadays people would just take a Smartphone given to them with a £30 a month contract (and probably be
    able to get similar results).

When I have time to transfer it and post it on Youtube I have a short film I made in BIC Camera going
    down the escalator through the different floors. I also have somewhere a free in house newspaper showing all
    the 2006 offers. Those in the UK will remember that Comet (a defunct UK retailer) used to do the same thing.

10. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Thank you much, awesome post and photos! :thumbsup:

11. matt

matt Member

Wonderful posts thankyou very much and please continue

12. WELTRON CLAIRTONE BRAUN

WELTRON CLAIRTONE BRAUN Member

Well done, Gibraltar, on starting this exceptional thread.
    This video is on theme:

ciclosysombras and deech like this.
  13. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

That looks like a awesome shop, I didn't know about it. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Shibuya. This is actually just down the street from some of the best used record and cassette shops in Tokyo.

14. hugo

hugo Member

Very nice, the boxes look great.

15. WELTRON CLAIRTONE BRAUN

WELTRON CLAIRTONE BRAUN Member

I searched " Boombox Japan" on Youtube and discovered this on topic video that hardly anyone has viewed.
    I was in Osaka two months ago and only managed to visit 10 of their well over 50 record stores. An excellent map exists.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Brutus442 and deech like this.
  16. deech

deech Well-Known Member

This is a Glorious Topic . Like Tre said i also didnt wanted it to end. :)

Brutus442 likes this.
  17. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Just found this and all I can say is WOW! I'm lost for words.....

I won't mince words but there are two CFS-99's:crybye and in great shape from the looks of them......I need those, like a crackhead needs his next fix! (I have now just inflated the price of these boxes, I know:crazy)

I (read as my wife) do have a price tag limit though:knockout: so I have to behave...for now

EDIT: Just saw the SK-51 as well:eek2:

Mister X likes this.
  18. colimaxp

colimaxp New Member

Where are those stores? Tokyo? Thanks

19. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

20. Boodokhan