1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car question

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by speedy2.0, Oct 24, 2017.

1. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Ive been really enjoying my tapes this year, even to the point where I use my Sony in my car! But, I got a shock the other day, I left my mobile in the same area below the stereo, which is connected via Apple cable to the new Carplay USB. When I went through a low signal area the mobile switched to the gprs band, and I have never heard such a loud burst of electromagnetic sound! I think because Walkman were made before mobile phones?

I then noticed the same problem even though I moved the phone away. So maybe the engine and stereo are emitting radio waves?

But the point is, I much prefer the tape deck

Jorge likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I do not have to use Walkman in my Saab: it is so old that has a cassette player in it!:)
    But when connecting iPod to Saab's line-in I have the same experience: iPhone has to be kept as far away from iPod as possible, and each time iPhone sends a signal to the tower you can hear it thru the stereo. New Portables (and iPhones) have much better shielding/grounding, but at the expense of sounding a bit dull to me

3. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Have you played with the EQ on your car stereo? I find a little tweaking to treble makes everything brighter, the heavy rubber car wheels create a load of bass, plus the engine obviously.

My old Rover Metro had a tape deck, the car died before the deck did!

Jorge likes this.
  4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That is one of the things CE marking is about. In the USA I believe FCC approval is similar.

Before CE marking TVs made for the UK market had filtering components left out to save money.
    Then CB became popular and peoples CB transmissions were coming out on their Neighbours TVs.

Of course even CE approved filtering won't help if the transmitter (phone) is sat right next to your Walkman.

A few years ago I was driving past this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampisham_Down

at about the same distance as the photo (probably a mile away) and got Morse code coming over the car stereo !

5. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

A friend of mine many years back was a big CB enthusiast. He built a giant array in his loft and spent his days off chatting to truckers in Eastern Europe, he mentioned a visit by authorities after someone had made a complaint, presumably a neighbour. They asked him to dismantle it but couldn’t enforce iirc...

I think the electromagnetic radiation of a piece of equipment conflicts with circuits with different radiation.

6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@speedy2.0 tweaking bass&treble push things from so-so to worse in my case. What works for me though is a stereo-to-mono adapter, music sounds less disjointed this way. (Evidently, you cannot short L and R channels, two 10kOhm resistors needed.)
    These last few years my problem of in-car tunes got solved by this box: Furtwangler, all CDs in beautiful Mono!

7. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

This thread needs a Picture :reelspin:
    Glad I don't have anything apppple.
    What I use in my factory ' Infinity ' Premium sound 2001 Dodge Dakota Quadcab 4x4
    IMG_4101 ION Cassette Bluetooth Adapter  3 new & in use in my Dakota 01 Dec 2016.JPG
    IMG_4101 ION Cassette Bluetooth Adapter 3 new & in use in my Dakota 01 Dec 2016

Jorge likes this.
  8. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I always wondered what that sound was, kind of like a fax machine firing up, hmmm changing bands, that makes sense, nobody else knew what I was talking about.

9. A O

A O Active Member

Hi James, quick question, why do you show your phone in your images?

10. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

To validate that the picture is present day or that day and not some 'old' picture, also as kinda like a water mark as it is My picture. Hope this helps you.
    Let me edit this, as I do Not take pictures with my cell-phone as I am very aware of the ( meta-data - embedded into each picture taken with a gps enabled phone ) and so that people cannot track regular non-gps-regular cameras except by visuals in the picture which is much harder to locate.
    I freely take gps enabled pictures with the cel-phone when I am not home as I probably have only gone to 'that?' place once and wont be back again for those that want to track me...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017