1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating/ molding new nylon part

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Lurya, May 21, 2017.

1. Lurya

Lurya New Member

Hello again!
    I posted here a few weeks ago about my Panasonic recorder RX-S28, and the broken nylon part that I found. Unfortunately I didn't get any respond for this post. I guess this recorder is not very popular/ important ;) I'd like to know, if you may, if there is a technic to create a copy of this broken part. I searched about 3D printing option and I found it too pricy for this matter. I wonder if I could find some affordable way to recreate this part, also, maybe there is an option to make it from other material? I read a lot about how challenging it could be, to mold a nylon part. Considered that it is not a gear, it only host the two gears, maybe there is a way to prepare it from different material - What do you think?
    * I give up for the option of gluing it, the glues are not strong enough to keep such small part intact, especially when it has to be under continuous friction/ pulling weight from the spring it has above it.

Attached Files:

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

One very cheap technique which might work is to use glue but use some kind of reinforcement of the joint. In some repairs I have drilled a small hole through the two parts and put something metal like a pin through the hole before glueing.

Alternatively (now I have had a better look at the photo) put a very thin sheet of metal (like a washer) over the join i.e. underneath the spring. What you need to do is make more area for the glue to hold. As the repair will be inside the Walkman go for strength rather than prettiness.

For glue I would use some kind of slow setting epoxy (which tends to be the strongest). Super glue tends to be a bit brittle and not very good on some plastics.

Otherwise keep looking for similar Panasonics and swap parts over.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. Lurya

Lurya New Member

Hey Longman! Thank you so much for your response and thorough input - I'll definitely try this pin/ metal technique - I'll update when it's done. You're 100% right about the way it looks - I don't care about it ;)

4. transwave5

transwave5 Member

Many nylon parts with spring tension on them will break.
    No glue seems to work on nylon.
    If theres extra space you could fix it
    what does it look like installed ?

5. Lurya

Lurya New Member

Hey folks... I've tried the drill and pin/ epoxy method that seemed sturdy enough after drying, but when I placed the tension spring... it started to break apart. So, I don't think there is any cure for a broken nylon part. The only solution in the future will be finding cheap 3d scan and print. These days it could cost $200 for creating a 3D file and print it. I could buy probably at least 4 working good recorders for this price...
    And now, I'd be very glad to have some recommendation for a good, cheap, reliable personal stereo cassette recorder - I have a friend that asked me to get one for her. She doesn't need any 'professional' grade machine, only one that could work with no problems. From my own personal experience, I remember the Aiwa machines most reliable. In the old days when I used cassettes daily, I had walkmans/ personal cassette players from almost any known brand. I remember the Sony for the worst unreliable machines (again - maybe the sound quality could be better, I'm talking about durability), I did like the Panasonic machines, but I remember they haven't been the best sturdy. The Aiwa were the best, and I still have 2 of them working flawlessly. But I guess people here have some more experience than me, definitely, these days, when these machines are older - What do you think is the most durable, reliable and easy to find - stereo recording machines?

6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

My personal opinion (and I know people will disagree) is to get the newest machine you can from a reputable manufacturer.

Sony were still selling Walkmans six years ago (I know as I was going to buy one). Hopefully a machine like that will last into the
    2030s before the belts go gooey as the plastic brittle.