1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom leather WM-D6C cases, leather, suede, speculative enquiry

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by greg, Aug 28, 2017.

1. greg

greg Member

Hi Guys

Since there's interest in DD cases in black, I was wondering what the interest in custom-made D6C leather covers would be?
    I've got a friend who's experienced in handcrafts and willing to make me one in a lovely colour, so what would you like and most spcifically, what's a price point you'd be willing to pay?

It would be bespoke, so clearly no pulling out once ordered.

This is UK-based but potentially EU or a wider area.

On Spec only for the moment.

G

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

HI greg
    I recommend ballistic nylon like the material mostly used by TUMI brand. I like it in 2 tone.

Something like this color combination
    [​IMG]
    The price wouldn't be an issue if I find the right design

3. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I suggest to open a poll. You can do that by yourself. You see how, here?
    That would be good...

4. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Should I put my D6C case design on hold then?

5. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I feel this is a little rude to Doublecee who worked hard to produce the DD cases and already has a D6C case in the works.

6. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Appreciate the sentiment T-ster but I don't hold the monopoly on Leather cases as much as Marian or Dr Walkman don't with Walkman repairs... I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time or resources., or anyone else's either.

The DD100 case is coming along nicely and the plans for the D6C case have been signed off. The next step is £$€ so nows the time to decide.

7. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I am well aware there is no monopoly on the production of cases, however, I felt it pertinent to remind people that you already had a vested interest in cases, had already committed time and effort to it and had already successfully produced cases for the DD model. With the greatest respect to Greg i did not feel there was a large enough market for two competing cases and did not want people to invest time and money that could not be recouped.

Mine is merely opinion so feel free to take it with a pinch of salt.

8. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

My sentiments are the same as yours.

Thanks

9. Middachten

Middachten Member

I'm not sure if there is such a big market for D6C leather cases....
    The original ones were very good quality leather with felt lining. BTW: I believe this is the key reason why so many D6C are in optical excellent shape.
    Most of the DD cases where rather shabby quality. Most of them have fallen appart by now.

I'm perfectly fine with my old D6C cases but I might actually be ordering another DD one to cover my red DD II soon.
    First I'll enjoy the beautifully made one on my DC2 for a while :smileycool:

10. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

All four of my D6C's all have cases that are in great shape. Reading that last post from Middachten just made me realise that a case for the D6C would infact be a fruitless task...

11. Chris

Chris Active Member

Perhaps it would be more worthwhile making a TPS-L2 case? The market is definitely there and most of the original cases are in very bad shape.

12. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

The case I bought for my D6 is in just average shape (inner felt cracked in places). I would buy another one, simply because I spent so much time reviving D6. But there is no serious demand for these, I agree...
    If I had any "how-to" leads I would have made a case for Pono player: folks keep asking for it but Neil Young and Ayre have pretty much abandoned that project.

SeanMT likes this.
  13. HiFi22stealth

HiFi22stealth New Member

I for one would welcome the idea of a new case for my D6C... In my case, when I purchased my unit on eBay, it came with its "default" case. However, the first time I used it (to protect the D6C when I took it out to listen to a tape 'on the move'), it made a slight scratch on the "W" in the "WALKMAN" logo, which is located just below one of the pins which keep the case closed. There's a small round pad below the pin, to avoid the direct contact with the metal on the D6C's body, but in my case it seems it wasn't enough!

So in my case I'd really like a case with a softer inner surface, and an improved design which avoided this problem that I had... This way I'd be able to keep my D6C as pristine as possible, as long as possible! :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  14. greg

greg Member

Seamstress was indifferent to the idea in the end...kybosh on that!