1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD III static noise

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by buzbox, Jul 25, 2017.

1. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Hey all. Just noticed on the DD III I received today that there is static noise thru the headphones even at zero volume on both A and B headphone sockets. Any idea what could be causing this? I'll be doing a thorough cleaning this weekend.

2. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

hopefully just dirt in the pot. A good spray of deoxit and some vigorous movement of the dial for a good few mins may fix... then maybe another dose and repeat.

Cant hurt

If its still there, could be elsewhere in the path. Bad cap? But my money is on dirty pot

3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I have this issue with one of my TPS-L2.
    I hope one of our expert members place a topic as " causes of static noises " , that way we can learn all possible conditions leading to static noise

4. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

I agree, this is typically caused by poor contact in pots. Try moving the dial position around and seeing if you can hear an increase in the level of hiss as it moves.

Henry :bigthumbsup:

5. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

This static noise is usually caused by oscillating headphone amplifier IC. Normally it should be caused by faulty capacitor (the one connected parallel to power voltage). But from my experience, it is headphone amplifier IC fault itself. It needs to be replaced. The same ones were used in many other, even cheap walkmans.

6. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Ok thanks for the tip. I've used Deoxit on the whole board and cleaned it up. Seems ok for the moment so will keep testing it.

7. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

Marian to the rescue!