1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD type walkman screw types (main casing)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by doublecee, May 28, 2017.

1. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

hi all

Does anyone know the spec or type number/code for the small screws that are used on the sides of the DD units?

I have a few models with 1 or 2 missing and I'd like to deal with that minor issue.

Thanks

2. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

It depends on the model: the WM-DD use M1.4 x 3.5 and M1.4 x 2.5, the DDIII up to DD30 use only M1.4 x 2.5, the Dd33 uses M1.4 x 3, M1.4 x 2.2 and M1.7 x 4.
    The screws that hold the lid in the DD to DD30 are Sony custom made, while in the Dd33 are standard M1.4 x 2.5

Most of those sizes can be found on ebay (never seen the M1.4 x 2.2 actually), but if you need the black version, that might be a problem.

Ball000 and Boodokhan like this.
  3. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Very helpful, thanks heaps!

4. turtle561

turtle561 New Member

hi, I too am in need of a few screws. my wm-10 & wm-f10 need 4 between them. they are the out side case screws. I am new to this and have no idea what they are other than metric. glad to hear they are available, just need to know the correct size.
    thanks !

5. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Screw sizes are available in service manuals; I looked for WM-10/f10 service manuals but they are not available for free. If you happen to have them, just look at the disassembly instruction, each screw is indicated with a code as "P 1.4 x 2.5". That is a metric screw with thread outer diameter or 1.4 mm and a thread length of 2.5 mm; simply replace P with M in the code and look on ebay or google.

6. turtle561

turtle561 New Member

o.k., thanks . I may take one to a jeweler and see if they can measure or match one.
    update;i took a screw to the jewler and it measured out @ M1.4x2.5 like you said.
    the ad for the screws I got says they are for cell phones, so a phone store may be a possible source.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  7. parabellum

parabellum New Member

Hi,
    Were you able to find a M1.4 x 2.5 mm screw which is suitable for our DD walkmans? I noticed that I have also one missing, but the pictures I find on Ebay sales donĀ“t show the same kind of screws, even when the size is the same.

8. Middachten

Middachten Member

I'm missing a couple of screws in one of my DDII as well.
    I find the search on Ebay rather hit and miss. Often they are the right size but don't have the right shape of the head.

There must be quite a fee people out there with Walkman missing screws. Is there any reliable source out there that can provide exactly the right shape/size?

Everything is available if you buy in quantity. Could this be something for a 'group buy'? Or would the 'group' still be too small?

9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Middachten likes this.
  10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

For silver screws this would be your cheapest choice:
    600Pcs Set 12 Kinds Screws Nuts Assortment Kit M1 M1.2 M1.4 M1.6

Now that @mihokm finalized DD centergear today I received my first "real" DD Walkman, WM-DDII (D6 does not feel like a Walkman to me, its more like a cassette deck).

L1110760.JPG

original screw is on the Left, the ones from the kit "feel" different, the head is cut for both Philips and flat screwdrivers, heads look smaller, although still measure 2.0mm dia, maybe because they are slightly thicker:
    L1110761.JPG
    Fit perfectly though...

11. turtle561

turtle561 New Member

these are the screws I got. the head measured 2.67mm across. item # 191542361181

s-l500.jpg

Middachten and Jorge like this.
  12. Middachten

Middachten Member

13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@turtle561 these are real nice! I think for the higher-end DDs these are the ones to use! Silver screws from my $4 kit look cheap