1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DMD-M10 Minidisc Recorder

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Mister X, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Every once in a while my buddy stops for a layover from Japan and sometimes he brings goodies with him. Apparently over there everyone wants new appliances and electronics and he finds a lot of curbside equipment. This was part of a larger set but he wanted the other units for himself. This is still cool and somewhat rare around here. I was a little hesitant to plug it in due to the voltage differences but he assured me they never have issues over there so I went for it. The unit work great and I can add it to my small but growing MD collection.
    DSCN0440SM.jpg

2. sacguy231

sacguy231 Member

Nice! I am just getting into MD myself, just got a player and a bunch of discs...having fun with it, not sure why I never ventured int it before. Probably cuz I already had so many CDs back in those days. Anyway, I love those micro size Denon components! :)

3. Mister X

Thanks sacguy231! I'm a searcher for this stuff meaning I like to find it in the wild rather than ebay, since the hunt is almost as cool as buying it. Over the years I've only found a full size Kenwood Deck and two portable units. The upside is I've found a ton of Mini Discs, either still in the package or prerecorded. A lot of these were used by bands for recording so the prerecorded stuff might be newish bands recording the basement sessions. Unfortunately I haven't found any guys that made it big, yet.... These days I looking for an MD boombox, I know they made them but they're super rare...

4. sacguy231

sacguy231 Member

Yeah, I dont' think I ever saw an MD boombox. I love ebay, but I agree that it is so much fun to find in person. Wish it was easier sometimes. I see you're in Minnesota, my dad just bought a home north in Bemidji. He says there are a lot of good antique and vintage stores in the area and I already trained him to let me know if he finds any cool electronics haha :)

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Being a fan of the Sony ZS range I keep coming across them while looking for something more interesting :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-ZS-M...133861?hash=item4b2a69f365:g:F04AAOSw8DJZ5f9T

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-ZS-M...472665?hash=item33d62af959:g:iLwAAOSwOuRZsAhb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-ZS-M...220167?hash=item283db8e887:g:XCcAAOSwB31ZnaVM

Just bear in mind that European ones will be 230V mains

This last one was even in the USA with USA voltage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-SONY...805538?hash=item590038b462:g:~vUAAOSw0Q1Z1ifk

6. Mister X

I remember the more traditional square boxes with MD, the egg boxes just don't have the appeal.

Your dad is in cabin country sacguy231, I've found a ton of cool old electronics driving north for vacation. I just let one of the members know about a cool old school radio shop in the middle of no-where with a Pioneer 707 RTR.

7. sacguy231

sacguy231 Member

Yeah, it's not so easy out here in California sometimes...everything thinks they have some "vintage" goldmine, so I am always jealous when people talk about a find at a flea market or Goodwill. I need to do a cross-country recon for gear :drive

8. Mister X

I was at the Rose Bowl Flea Market about five years ago and found two really nice boxes, one was a medium size Pioneer, got them both cheap but those old boxes are heavy, even the little ones and it was a long way back to the car.

9. Retrobasshead

Retrobasshead New Member

Ive always enjoyed the MD format,and i have a few MD units. If your after a MD boombox can i recomend the JVC RDMD5 which has cd and tuner plus aux in .this unit sounds fantastic and they do appear quite often .

10. Mister X

Thanks for the heads up Retrobasshead, I was just checking that out on Reli's Site, that thing is a real beast. I don't know where you are but we never get anything like that around here...
    http://wikiboombox.com/tiki-index.php?page=JVC+RD-MD5
    I've read a few discussions about the US-Japan Voltage differences. My buddy says over there they actually have two voltages and the electronics can handle both (I think one is 100v and one is 120v). Plugging into US 110v isn't a big deal. He was right I haven't had any issues.