1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DiamondBoxx Model XL Prototype testing.... holy @#$%^&&

Discussion in 'Portable Stereos of Today & Tomorrow' started by BLASTER, Dec 18, 2016.

1. BLASTER

BLASTER New Member

Patron and retro like this.
  2. retro

retro Active Member S2G Supporter

They should supply tie-downs with that box.:razz:

samovar likes this.
  3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Holy crap! Thats insane!

4. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Finally a "Moving Sound" feature that works -- as opposed to the one advertised by Philips :D What do they call this unit? Leapfrog Box? ;)

Radio Raheem likes this.
  5. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

I had some 50lb speakers that i made once, yes you guessed it, they used to walk across the carpet haha but now i have quietened down quite drastically, i guess im just to old

great post

6. rmrexp

rmrexp New Member

Is it worth $1,300 usd?

7. Jvc floyd

Jvc floyd Member

To hell with these glorified iPod docks. I want to see someone build that damn 4 woofer conion like in the retro rendering.

retro likes this.
  8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That reminds me of the old CDC9766 disc drives we used to use.
    They used voice coil technology to move the head assembly which weighed a couple of pounds.
    One of the software engineers I worked with could tell how far his software had got by watching the shakings of the drive.

More recently I did some testing at work using a vibration table similar to this

Watching some of the car stereo vids on Youtube made me wonder if anyone had ever converted one into a loudspeaker.
    I reckon it could rival the Back to the Future one :p

retro likes this.
  9. rmrexp

rmrexp New Member

Bumpboxx and Retro would make a great team!

retro likes this.
  10. retro

Thanks guys, I'm actually finishing up on the renderings of two monster Bumpboxx concepts. ;)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  11. rmrexp

rmrexp New Member

Retro you are freakin awesome!!

retro likes this.
  12. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Bit of a monster for sure .

13. Patron

Patron Active Member

The sound might be great but the look is horrible, there is nothing like an 80s box.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Radio Raheem likes this.
  14. Radio Raheem

Have to agree patron, there is nothing modern that i want as for me cassette is as important as the boombox, i mean i don't own a mobile and i don't want one eather, there all touch screen rubbish lol

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Jorge and Patron like this.
  15. rmrexp

rmrexp New Member

Screenshot_2017-01-25-09-35-58.png What about a suit case box that plays cassette?

16. retro

A few new videos have been posted recently.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  17. samovar

Of course it's good that the boombox is still alive in the bluetooth age (Aiwa, Bummpbox, Diamond, and so on). However, what leaves me cold in almost all the XXI century units is their poor, or rather questionable, design.

Except for the Aiwa, which some people find boring but certainly shows a serious effort to actualize the tradition, the others do very little on this department. No matter how good and powerful they sound, they'd probably lose any beauty contest with whatever anonymous, uneralded unit of the 70ss through the 90s.

The Diamond is a clear example, in my opinion. If the Bummpbox at least looks like an old-school box (but why those poor decorations of woofers and tweeters, and why the net?), the Diamond does not even try. In fact, all Diamonds shown in the video have the same fascination of a briefcase turned into a box.

Why couple excellent advanced technology with boring homemade looks? Maybe in order to cut production costs. Yet the Diamond is not exactly sold for peanuts: the basic M-model sells at $549,99-649,99, the XX at $1699,00; in between the L-model goes for $699,99-799,99.

Or maybe the explanation is elsewhere: the Diamond box is the creation of two audio engineers. So 99,99% of their effort was geared toward the quality of sound -- which gets louder and louder without distortion. Had they involved a designer in the project, they may have created memorable units. My two cents.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    RevDoc likes this.
  18. Radio Raheem

Id love one of these, but the price and the fact that there is no cassette im just not interested

19. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Production costs for the homemade look are probably quite high. However, the really big cost would be for tooling. There is an often told story by Lord Alan Sugar (multi millionaire and UK host of "The Apprentice") on how his first major product was the transparent lids for record decks.
    By getting the tooling made for injection moulding he got the cost down to 1/5th of what his competitors were paying.

http://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/203606/Alan-Sugar-How-I-got-rich

Looking at the figures (there were 20 shillings to the pound back then for the youngsters), there are two significant figures.

£5000 is what my parents had paid for their house a year earlier. To give an idea the same house is now worth about £400000

By paying £2800 for tooling he reduced the cost of each lid by 62.5p.
    So he would have to sell 4480 units just to break even on the cost of the tooling.
    Obviously he did and having sold that number started to rake in the profits.

The question is how many people (outside of big companies like Aiwa) have the confidence to bet the value of a house
    on one mould for a product.

p.s. Last time I went to the Science Museum in London they had the mould for a Tupperware jug on display.
    Solid lumps of metal making a cube about 60cm across. It makes you realise why in order to make something for
    pennies you have to invest big money.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  20. samovar

@ Longman What you write makes a lot of sense, as usual. But if you enter the market in order to industrially produce & distribute a box, then either you get the capital or you don't. XXI century Aiwa is the property of a multimillionaire, so the startup money is not a problem. With the Diamond boxx things are probably different -- which explains the high costs.

This said, if I had the expertise I'd rather build my own box than buy an (undoubtedly excellent) one like the Diamond. Why? Because I'd revel in the pleasure of projecting & creating my own. And I'd rather spend my money on quality components then pay for a hybrid (serially produced but with a homemade look).

Or I'd mod an existing box. Does anybody remember RYUX from old stereo2go? He had a wonderful project for his Crown SZ-5100. He reinforced the case, used top-notch components and added a lithium battery & a bluetooth line. As a result he literally "turned a turkey into a box with some quality sound", as Deliverance had it in his inimitable style :D

The result of that great project was a great box with great looks. Possibly not in the class of the Diamond, but aren't look at least half of the pleasure of boombox addicts? :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017