1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you buy new cassette tapes lately? Show us your musical taste here!

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by odyrock, Dec 22, 2016.

1. odyrock

odyrock New Member

Hi everyone,
    I thought it will be interesting to see what everyone here is up to, regarding the addition of new tape albums to his/here collection. This way we can see what interests every member nowadays, maybe also see a new release on tape we did not hear about before, etc..
    I'll make the start by showing the two tapes I bought in the last month!

2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I haven't bought any cassette with a new release because IMHO all them sound bad. Modern tapes like the ones sold by the American cassette company (or something like that) aren't as good as old 90s ones. And the recording is usually worse.
    The only (big) ones I've seen released recently are the Star wars - Force awakens and the GOTG soundtrack movie. But there are maybe small companies out there doing things right...
    However, I recently bought a set of 130+ cassettes from the 80/90s :biggrin:

3. odyrock

odyrock New Member

Really? Would love to see some pics of that collection of tapes you bought:nodding:
    And about the old/new tape quality thing, I not necessarily ask about new purchases of new tapes, it can also be new purchases of old tapes (like the collection you bought0, like for instance the two tapes I bought last month. The one is from '81 and the other from early 2000s

4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I bought a ten pack of tapes recently from ebay, only wanted 3 of the ten:

20161223_153003.jpg

5. odyrock

odyrock New Member

Very nice. That coldcut tape is pure fire!

6. walkman archive

Here's the lot I was talking about: http://www.walkman-archive.com/wa/2016/12/a-huge-lot-of-130-cassettes/

Ahh, ok, actual purchases of old tapes. In this lot, actually there are some brand new, sealed tapes too! :eyepopping:

7. walkman archive

8. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

I bought six of these pre-recorded cassettes a few months back. They are the most recent release by Keith Richards. I gave four of them away, sent a sealed copy to a TH member in the UK who couldn't buy it because the tapes were only being sold in North America, and kept one for myself. And the recording came out good on this release.

[​IMG]

Nando.

walkman archive likes this.
  9. odyrock

odyrock New Member

Well Hugo, your last purchase is very interesting! There are some tapes in there i would like to get my hands on!
    Going back to Greece for New Year's Day. Will post photos if I find some interesting tapes while there..

10. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Got these tapes yesterday, well worth it. IMG_20170119_165646[1].jpg

11. Elite-ist

Yesterday, I received five pre-recorded cassettes of Neil Young's newest release "Peace Trail."

[​IMG]

Nando.

12. walkman archive

I have been given some months ago a bunch of used tapes. That should not be anything remarcable, but these tapes came from the best high-end audio store in Barcelona. Some even came from their customers.
    What's special is that there were almost no type I tapes; they are mostly type II with quite a lot of type IV :shock, and most of them have been recorded with high-end equipment, like Nakamichi decks. And they have been stored carefully so they are in excellent condition, almost like new!
    There were a bunch of about 60-80 cassettes...

Here it is the shelf where the tapes were resting:
    big lot of type ii-iv used cassettes 01.JPG big lot of type ii-iv used cassettes 02.JPG

Here are some of the most representative or special. Yes, even a TEAC reel! And all them for free!
    big lot of type ii-iv used cassettes 03.JPG big lot of type ii-iv used cassettes 04.JPG

That's the bag I took with me to home :smoke
    big lot of type ii-iv used cassettes 05.JPG
    Do you want to see how I looked when I went to the store to see that "bunch of cassettes that they were about to throw in the bin, but then they remember about me"?: :swoon

Until then I keep picking some randomly to listen what they have into. The old BASF present playing problems due to degradation of the tape, but they seem rare and desirable.
    The UX, UX-S, MA and Metal XR are the best ones. They have all been recorded with excellent quality in premium decks. The sound is quite good and enjoyable. I'm discovering new artists every time!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Command8 and Elite-ist like this.
  13. Elite-ist

Hugo: Remarkable to see all those good tapes were held for you. My eyes are drawn to the TDK AR cassette, even more than the Teac reel-style cassette, because the TDK AR tape is a fine tape. Quite often, I come across premium tapes that have been recorded on, in the hopes of reusing the tapes, but the music and the recording quality is too good to record over.

Nando.

14. walkman archive

Absolutely! I have experienced that with many tapes, especially from this particular lot. I'm actually listening to a SONY MetalXR in my Nak RX505, because it was recorded in a Nak as it clearly states in the very J-card.
    However, as it's recorded with Dolby C, it never matches very well so I'm using my JVC NR50 to precisely calibrate the Dolby response to it sounds perfect.

15. walkman archive

Here's a quick photo I've just take:
    IMG_6161.JPG
    I love the ability to upload photos directly from my phone... :yesss:

16. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I got this off a friend today. It's a shame i don't have the equipment to play dbx encoded tapes:( ...
    IMG_20170122_195733[1].jpg IMG_20170122_195741[1].jpg
    But my newly ordered D6C is arriving in a week:yesss:.

17. walkman archive

Wow, I never seen a commercial prerecorded cassette with dbx :shock.
    I have various equipments for dbx but no prerecorded one. I suggest you a Marantz PMD-340, which has dbx, is portable and compact (not as much as the D6C, though), 3 heads and it's a lot of fun. And it's still cheap these days. Here's mine:

18. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I would, but sadly it doesn't play metal tapes, I think.
    Since I'm still a greenhorn to the world of analog media i need a good, portable recorder, so the D6C is my entry level choice. (i'm a foreign student with a finite budget in italy, so getting a job is a no-no)
    I've been in contact with Doctor Walkman and I plan to send my Aiwa PC202Mii and the D6C when it arrives to him.
    (I won't send him my panasonic rq-s60, since the technician i bought it from, botched up the repair and it only has dolby B.)

19. Patron

Patron Active Member

This is my cassette library , As you can see on the top right corner I have the Conion, 5350, and mk650 tapes.

image.jpg

Reflex85 and walkman archive like this.
  20. walkman archive

The D6C is a great walkman and one of the best sounding of them all. Congrats on that. And the Super-D6C by DW is awesome.
    The Marantz can indeed play metal tapes, of course. It can even record them too.
    What makes so special this portable deck is that it's the only one 3-head portable deck ever made. And it sounds truly good!