1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different 3.5mm jacks

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Helaba, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hi
    I have Some walkmans that didnt accept a regular 3.5 mm headphone Jack ... IT is just to far or not possible to put iT far enough to have correct stereo signal..... :/( Does anybody know the existence of jacks that are somehow other then regular?

2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I had a walkman recently actually that was a 2.2mm jack, it was a sony. I bought an adaptor on Epay.

3. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Yes, 2.2 and 2.5mm is something else.... I mean differents between 3.5mm male jacks...

4. Chris

Chris Active Member

My old 'Beats' headphones had a 3.5mm jack which was slightly longer than standard ones, it also has a 3rd ring bit around it, still worked fine. I'm assuming the 3rd ring was for the microphone which I never used.

Are you sure your walkman is stereo?

5. StaticAudio

StaticAudio Member

Mono plugs have two parts: signal + ground;
    Most stereo plugs have three parts, left + right + ground;
    Some stereo plugs even have four parts, left + right + something other like microphone or remote control + ground.

If you use as stereo 3.5 mm headphone in a mono radio/walkman you only hear the left channel in the headphones. The right channel of the headphones gets no signal because that part of the plug is not connected or connected to ground level.
    When you pull the plug out a bit both channels are getting signal, but not quite as it should be, and this is easily audible.

With a stereo walkman and a mono earpiece you also hear only the left channel, BUT, the right channel of the amplifier is shortcircuited so you can damage the internal amplifier!

Normally, every 3.5 mm jack should have the same dimensions, otherwise it's not a 3.5mm jack plug.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017