1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From Italy With Love..

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Brutus442, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

What can I say. I'm done.

I now have my last remaining grail in my hands. Did I find it ? No. The only thing I did was complain about how tough it was to find for a reasonable price. I truly figured that this last piece of my addiction would escape my grasp.

So I thought. It started from a simple message from our member Samovar. He simply said "If something comes from Japan, just accept it."

Now the curiousity meter is off the charts. I have to wait for a mystery package from the land of the Rising Sun. Weeks pass and still nothing but a pleasant message from Nikonfoo saying that the package has cleared Canadian Customs. I don't want to leave the house in case it comes, but a few days pass, still nothing. Customs is doing their best to cause a heart attack.

Then one night I'm heading out for working and almost trip over a large package. I grab it and take it to work to open it as soon as I arrive. Work can wait!
    IMG_6682.JPG
    Oooh the Kleenex I wanted has arrived!
    IMG_6683.JPG
    The heart's beating REALLY fast now..the Boss is searching for me IMG_6685.JPG
    After yelling out a few loud expletives the Boss catches me...and stays to watch me open it! IMG_6687.JPG
    A beautiful Sony-CFS-99! I cannot get this bubble wrap off fast enough! IMG_6688.JPG
    Damn this thing is huge, but now I have to put it away so I can get to work....not without hiding away and snapping a few pics on the phone so I can ogle it on break...
    IMG_6697.JPG IMG_6701.JPG
    Took it home the next morning and began to really play with it. Note the Japanese FM range.
    IMG_6711.JPG
    Then I took it outside for some nice Toronto summertime pics. There's 20cm's of sunshine in these photos
    IMG_2292.JPG
    I can't thank Samovar enough for this. I'm sure I'd have never found it and moaned on an on about it. However I now have this last remaining piece of my "must have" list in my hands and playing with it constantly.

This community is one of a kind. Samovar...thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm sending some genuine Toronto snow via courier to you as I have too much of it and would like to share it.

P.S. This became an expensive thread to post. I cracked my wife's glass side table while shooting the pictures. So when (If?) the snow melts I'm on the hook for a new beverage table. Who cares...I have my Energy 99 now!!!!!!!!!!

2. Patron

Patron Active Member

Congrats, Great find man, got to admit is one of my wanted list , only with full fm range.

3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

A Sony CFS-99 ! Beautiful box and what a legend Sal is, a real gent. Not just for the gift but he is a general all round thoughtful, helpful kind soul. And a gift to you Geoff couldn't end up with a nicer bloke.

samovar likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

5. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Happy to read that my little present made its way to your turf in one piece! Sharing the joy of a friend who finally finds his grail is a unique experience. And Geoff (brutus442), like the other Geoff (nikonfoo) deserves the best. He's a wonderful person and a soulmate.

So enjoy your "Energy" my friend. I'll be waiting for the Torontonian snow you've just shipped. I have been missing it ever since I came back home a year and a half ago...

(And Tre: thanks so very much for your very kind words. I hope one day to help you too fulfill your dreambox dream).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

That is one cool looking box! And a lot of love there! Massive kudos to all involved!

Brutus442 - where do you work? Very industrial looking and interesting, good location for photos of boomboxes!

Brutus442 likes this.
  7. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...a plain W O W !

if you ever take this beauty back to work don't forget a bicycle-lock, because i'm sure boss has licked blood now and would like to get his own one :nodding:

Brutus442 likes this.
  8. Brutus442

I work a water filtration plant and during my break I went for a wander and took some photos. It's a wonderful location that serves as a great backdrop for some photos. I'll upload a few others I've taken there later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks all and a VERY special thanks to Samovar.

lupogtiboy likes this.
  9. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

A very special thanks to brutus442, a magnificent guest and an even better friend. Those who followed my Torontonian thread in 2016 on the old site know how much I and Geoff (and Tony Cruz; where has the man from Barry gone? I haven't seen him here for ages!) enjoyed our mini meets on the other side of the pond (for me).

The time we spent together was fantastic, and there's no substitute for it but repeating the experience one day, either in Europe or again in the Americas. A present is but a signpost, a token, a sign: something that stands for something else. It tries to capture the ineffable: the time we spent together, renewing friendship, chit-chatting of our common passion, enjoying a beer.

Hence our habit of exchanging gifts in Christmas time. In my country we have a saying on the occasion of an anniversary. We say, "a hundred of these days", of course wishing the experience be repeated for a century. A present is always short of something, since it will never be the thing it stands for. That's why this Christmas I chose the Energy; its number, in the Sony CFS series, is 99.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  10. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Congrat, @Brutus442
    It’s a beautiful box and more valuable when it comes from a great friend.

Brutus442 likes this.
  11. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Very nice indeed!!

Brutus442 likes this.
  12. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

A lovely gesture amongst friends!!!! Sweet!

Brutus442 likes this.
  13. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Happy birthday Brutus !:happybirthday:

Brutus442 likes this.
  14. Mister X

Happy Birthday, hope things are ok! Brutus442 has been MIA for the last few weeks, anybody in contact with him?

Brutus442 likes this.
  15. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Happy birthday Geoff lad:wavey::thumbup:

Brutus442 likes this.
  16. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Maybe a tad late but Happy Birthday, Geoff!! :boogie::thumbsup:

Brutus442 likes this.
  17. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

As others have been telling Geoff (AKA Brutus442), that Sony CFS-99 looks good, its pretty pronounced, down-slanted tweeter grilles notwithstanding. (Could also do with a couple of shortwave bands, but that's just me. And I'm not sure that the Sony CFS-99 ever came with shortwave tuning, I shrug. No extra S somewhere in the model number to denote SW tuning, for one thing.)

I vaguely remember seeing this Sony model for the first time. It was a unit of the North American(?) version of this model in a shoe store or whatever in Newark, New Jersey in the mid- or late 1990s. That machine was probably playing some New York City-area FM music station. (While the unit owned by member Brutus442 is shown in photo' 8 playing an audiocassette, happily proving that this '99 at least plays tapes -- something I suspect that our Samovar insisted on.) I was probably wandering around, looking for some shoes to buy -- you know to replace or to add to whatever dress-up footwear I had then (like the suede-and-patent Jiulianos[sp?]).

So this boombox was actually a gift from our Samovar to Mr 442? How costly to Samovar -- yet how unconcerned a true friend would be about cost. Good going there, gentlemen.

18. Brutus442

Gents...my kids sports teams have elected me (told me?) I'm coaching them now. So computer time is at a premium. I'm typing this from work, although going to this site constitutes a breach of my employers Internet Usage guidelines (I'm a rebel!).

Thanks for the super kind words everyone. I miss this place but I will return (hopefully with a trophy:cheers:)

@Easthelp - This was a true gift from Samovar. I have moaned for eons on this site about how the CFS-99 was on my "must have" list and Samovar being a true hero just mentioned...watch you mail. Low and behold this beauty arrives. Although my time using it has dwindled recently, I never stop glancing at it when I pass by. It reminds me of the amazing members we have here and how lucky we really are to know each other. Never underestimate the members here...trust me!

Keep boomin' guys and gals.......I'm hoping to return soon!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Radio Raheem likes this.
  19. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Good to see all well mate :thumbsup:

20. Mister X

Rock out with your hockey socks out!