1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

giveaway-question...

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by autoreverser, Dec 12, 2017.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

is here anybody with a portable cassette player, labelled with one of the following tobacco-companies:

...they are all cigarette-labels in Europe, especially Germany.

as i do have a WESTman and a JPS (JonPlayer) unit i was wondering if they might have made other players as giveaway - probably all the same unit ?

NOW i'm awaiting your answers !!!

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I don't think Cigarette Gifts worked like that in the UK.

However, in 1973 you could have got all this audio gear including a Panasonic Cassette Recorder and tapes to play in it just by smoking enough Benson and Hedges Cigarettes. I have no idea how many certificates you got in a pack. Does anyone else know ?
    I would guess you had to smoke quite a lot to get the portable TV or even a Washing Machine for 54000 certificates :smoke:smoke:smoke:smoke:smoke Benson and Hedges 1.jpg Benson and Hedges 2.jpg

p.s That is just the audio section. The whole catalogue is 132 pages covering everything from Ladies Fashion, through Children's toys to Garden tools and even seeds.

3. Brandon

Brandon Member

Jorge likes this.
  4. Longman

So by the 1980s / 90s they were branding their gifts.
    I don't recognise that many of the brands Autoreverser lists while Benson and Hedges was one of the most popular UK brands.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  5. Ball000

Ball000 Member

If I remember well, my best friend had a John Player Special walkman in the early eighties indeed, rather low quality though.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I collect Discmans, not Walkmans (sorry!!) and the only brand I ever saw was Marlboro:
    Panasonic_SL_S160.JPG

Marlboro is/was not my poison (I was Winston guy) but I could not resist buying it.

7. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

wow,
    interesting topic
    Unfortunately i do not carry any cigarette brand walkman

8. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

i'll dig out my Westman, the JPS-version and another JPS-unit tomorrow morning...

9. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

10. Risingsunproject

Low quality hahaha well if its John player it has been made with a little glue dried out banana spit and tears maybe so do not wonder if it dissolves itself

11. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I remember the JPS Corgi Car being really cool looking in the case, although we didn't know it was a tobacco company...

c12_6.jpg

Risingsunproject likes this.
  12. Risingsunproject

Well we all know how it ended with lotus/delorean story then you start constructing cars with glue spit tears and maybe nose bleeding and that is why nobody can fix a lotus probably also why Chapman lost it and wanted to create cars from surf boards haha....i actually had to "allah akbar"or it looked like similar to a marriage proposal anyway to get into one!
    But we know JPS better than most people and the story behind the tobacco company,the CIA the britsh government,How lotus was banned from F1 and how an englishman with a barn that made cars managed to piss on the doorsteps of Maranello for 7 times!Even the little red horse got scared and run away!
    So if someone has those Jps please show!
    IMAG0538.jpg

13. Risingsunproject

14. Longman

Well here is the proof

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-ADV...679536?hash=item3d51d159b0:g:WzIAAOSwpkFY7HYv

When they banned Tobacco companies from sponsoring Formula 1 people wondered where the sport would get the money from to keep going.

The funny thing is that there was a huge fuss when condom manufacturer Durex wanted to sponsor an F1 team "The small family car" , with threats that it would never be shown on TV even if it was in the lead. Have a look towards the bottom of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/nov/25/the-joy-of-six-f1s-strangest-racing-cars

Showing how attitudes have changed, I have often recounted the story of how when I was about nine back in the early 1970s an electrician who was working in our house ran out of cigarettes, so I was sent, on my own with some money to the local shop to buy him some more, which wasn't a problem.

Command8 and Risingsunproject like this.
  15. Risingsunproject

"I was about nine back in the early 1970s an electrician who was working in our house ran out of cigarettes, so I was sent, on my own with some money to the local shop to buy him some more, which wasn't a problem."
    That was happening to me in the 80s and early 90s just saying haha!
    I even remember i had to go buy those..............JPS still exist however they taste like horseshit.....i do not know when Lotus was "wearing" them maybe even more addictive :smoke

Cooper_design_1_cooperative_blend_ks_20_h_greece.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  16. Risingsunproject

If i start posting now about group B rally i am definitely off topic hahahahahah
    "Wrc is for boys Group B was for men" the same goes for F1 today Hamilton bahhhhhhhh Its the same story all over again boomboxes of today..bahhhh boomboxes of the past real cool!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  17. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The little Lotus pops up from time to time on bringatrailer.com
    jps_5_sized_1.jpg

18. Risingsunproject

Looks like a lotus europe even worse in this case the floor is made from paper glue fiberglass so on an aggressive drive you may find yourself playing Fred Flintstone.But the thrill remains!

19. A O

A O Active Member

Autoreverser, what have you done?