1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good quality 'box for my office on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by kitchen10, Jan 21, 2017.

1. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

Hello all,

This is my first thread in the boombox section (and also my first on the new platform too). For god knows how many years I've used my old Hitachi TRK-7100E as my source of 'background music' while I work, but it has now got to the point where it needs replacing - the cassette deck is dead, the MW and SW bands have stopped receiving, and just to top it off the FM rod antenna has broken, rendering it useless in my area (rubbish reception).

So, my question is: can you recommend a fitting replacement for my beloved Hitachi?

My requirements are:
    • Cheap: sub-£30 mark preferably (I can possibly go a tad over that, but I am a starving student after all!)
    • Good FM selectivity and sensitivity
    • FM stereo capability
    • Sound quality comparable to my old Hitachi (I'm not expecting earth-shattering bass in this price category!)
    I would also like these features, but they are not requirements:
    • Mains power option (in the form of direct mains in or DC jack)
    • Cassette deck (not strictly necessary as I have a decent FM transmitter which I can hook up to my Sony TC-K555)
    • Some form of auxiliary input (yet again, not strictly necessary because of the FM transmitter, but desirable nonetheless)
    • MW/AM reception
    I'm not really too fussed about SW or LW reception or fancy design features - reliability and reception capabilities are the most important thing to me. I appreciate that 'boxes are a very personal thing, in that different people look for different things in a box, but I value all opinions.

If you have a suitable 'box that you no longer need/use, I'm sure we can work something out!

Thanks,
    Henry :)

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

To stick within your budget of £30 I think you will have to look around locally and see what is available.
    If buying from a distance on Ebay you would probably spend half of your budget on postage.
    In contrast you can get some real bargains when items are collect only.

If you intend using this in an office and don't intend moving it around have you considered a mini Hi Fi.
    Each time I go in my local Sue Ryder shop there are tempting systems well under £30. Brand names too
    such as JVC, Sharp, and Sony. About a month ago they had a Panasonic Midi (with the 5 CD changer)
    labelled as everything working except the Cassette Decks hence just £5 (including the Speakers).

I was very tempted but if I bought everything there that tempted me I would need a much bigger loft.
    When I was a student I would have thought I had got the bargain of the year if it had cost £50 (in 1980s
    money).

Good luck in your search

kitchen10 likes this.
  3. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

There are soooo many suitable boxes and if you're canny you can get something good for not very much. I'm in Yorkshire too and have picked up a few good boxes locally...I've got about 60 boxes and not all of them are displayed at the moment so could lose a few I guess. How far are you from Richmond in North Yorkshire?

Radio Raheem and kitchen10 like this.
  4. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Contact me Kitchen10 I have loads of stereo's you could buy from me :thumbup:

5. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

My daughter is a starving student too so what she does is blag the boomboxes from me for free! She currently has 4 different boomboxes at uni that get used for most of the parties in her halls...so if you're a starving student in the right uni you don't even have to buy one! :)

kitchen10 and nickeccles like this.
  6. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

Sorry for my absence - I have been incredibly busy recently and my emails have been neglected! Thank you for your replies.

I'm in Huddersfield, so I'm a good hour and a half away. That's quite a collection you have there! I'll PM you at some point in the foreseeable future when I'm less bogged down with work! :rolleyes:

Thanks, I'll PM you soon, as with Northerner. :)

nickeccles and Northerner like this.
  7. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Anytime mate, I have really got too many - Plenty of choice!! :bigthumbsup:

8. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

9. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member