1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greeting fron Birmingham UK

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by glenn tipton, Nov 15, 2017.

1. glenn tipton

glenn tipton New Member

Hi Guys and Girls just wanted to say a big hello...

I hope everyone is well

Best wishes

Glenn

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  2. Brandon

Brandon Member

Hi Glen

I new here as well. what do your main interest?

Regards

3. glenn tipton

glenn tipton New Member

Not having a midlife crisis but wanted to collect something different than vinyl.

Had some great albums as a kid and loved the sound they produced.

9 times out of 10 I would be playing them through the ghetto blaster I'm currently debating on buying a Walkman and put it through my amp or to purchase a cassette hifi separate.

I know theres lots of cassette resellers on ebay but some of the prices are ridiculous and live in birmingham and you would think theres at least one shop selling them but they seem to scarce.

Any advise would be great fully received

4. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Hiya, Glenn, welcome to S2G! :wavey:

glenn tipton likes this.
  5. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Hi Glenn and welcome. You need a Walkman, a boombox, and a separate. Get em all!

6. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stereo2go Glenn.

Getting a Walkman or a Stereo separate, well it would depend on how serious you are and do you already have good quality recordings that you want to play.
    If you want the best quality replay / recording then a full size deck is needed. If you can't afford the full size deck then the next best thing are the quality portable ish players and the good ones will cast as much or more than the a middle of the road full size deck.

The smallish units to look out for are Sony TCD5, Marantz PMD430, Sony D6C, Sony DC2 etc

Happy hunting.

7. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The good news is that cassette tapes and players are having a renaissance and a lot of inventory is coming out of the woodwork. I've found 99% of my stuff at yard sales, flea markets and thrift stores over the years but those avenues seem to be slimmer pickings now that there some value to cassettes. It's a great format with equipment ranging from bare-bones to highly intricate and prices that match. There's a thread below that has some units popping up for sale that has some really neat units, I'd check that out and keep an eye out for thrift shops and friends. They sold millions of these units and I've had several friends give me dusty-musty gems they no-longer wanted.

8. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Yeah a full size deck needn't cost a lot, look for something on ebay recently serviced. Or get a boombox, or a portable cassette player/recorder/walkman. Or do what we all end up doing and get all three!

I get a few tapes of ebay, car boot sales, flea markets etc. What sort of music do you like? Maybe i have a few tapes to get you started...:thumbup: