1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guardians of the Galaxy Origin Cassette

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by Jordach, May 4, 2017.

1. Jordach

Jordach New Member

Clarification: By origin cassette, I mean the blank, custom shell of it.

I went out to pick up the CD of the newly released movie at my local HMV, and upon returning home, I spotted something out of place, something that didn't add up. I ended up snagging a vinyl pressing of the first movie, and the CD of the second movie.

What intrigued me the most, was that there are two specific yellow/gold rings on it under the cover label.

This also applies to volume 2, as well.

But I noticed the TDK CDing2 Cassette has the same gold/yellow concentric rings, but also; the same body design, look at the lower half as shown here;

Edit: Even the dots at the center are identical.

2. Erniejade

Erniejade Member

Looks like your right! they do look like someone took the TDK and put a sticker over it.

3. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

It's a prop. I doubt the prop guys really gave much thought to the tape community being so vigilant.

On a side note, having spent many a day and evening on the Milano ship set whilst we filmed the original, despite all the awesomeness of the cockpit and hold, my fave place to sit was by the tape deck in the wall.

kitchen10 likes this.
  4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Wow, great finding and thanks for sharing
    The label can be designed on blank cassttte labels

5. Marco

Marco New Member

HI U RECIVED MY MESSAGES I LEFT U MANY MESSAGES

6. bub

bub Active Member

Yep, European CDing II, quite an interesting choice based off on how relatively rare it is- you'd expect them to use a generic ferric. They possibly chose this model as the turning reels are very easy to see.
    in a pinch the Japanese one is close enough as well- the rings and hub lock are a different color, though.

7. Jordach

Jordach New Member

I picked a pack of 10 up for £10 a while back, didn't realise until the second film that they were in fact the original prop. I've popped into the local stationary store, picked up some sticky backed paper for my inkjet, will give building the overlays a round, based on Hugo's existing one.

Edit: Might print a few extras for S2G members recorded on my Technics RS-B605.

8. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Can you please place a picture of the sealed new TDK cassette. I checked Ebay and found out that it comes with different plastic shrink/ wrap. Do they have the same cassette inside the case?

9. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hi J
    Nice find! If you could be so Nice to print Some for me Too? :please:

10. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Yeah ever since the film i always pick up any CDing II tapes i see.

11. Jordach

Jordach New Member

Oops, forgot to mention; they were used (recordings of Football matches from the mid 90s, not sure what); but are in surprisingly near perfect condition. These likely got used once and then the owner probably bought a CD-R drive for his computer.

The jewel cases also appear to be completely clean of any use.

The tape that got played in my DD9 is so so gorgeous, I can't begin to describe the "cassette-y" sound of it. Not too much bass, but clear highs -- but not overly bright, (the Technics record head might be particularly good with Chrome tapes, will need to test with a UR 90 at some point). It's a hard one to describe. (If anyone knows how to contact Dr. Walkman about that Super DD9 upgrade with pricing, let me know in a PM, this thing wobbles with specific tapes in reverse, including the aforementioned CDIng II.)

I'll post one copy, with Vol 2 preloaded. Will get around to getting a hi-res scan of the album art done so I can perform it using Photoshop and the like, and provide a free template for those who want to print their own copies.
    (Alternatively, that pen ink looks very much like a Berol Handwriter pen you'd get at school. :swoon2 It's that specific shade of blue I remember.

Handy edit: Just realised I can scan in my official Guardians Vol 1 cassette for the original scaling, will try and get it to print it in a sensible format.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  12. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hi Jordach
    I liked your first idea for printed copies better, as i do not have a printer, nor PC... IT would be fantastic if you could do the print on sticker paper! I pay the costs!