1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Sunny Basingstoke

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by l1dge, Jul 29, 2017.

1. l1dge

l1dge New Member

Hey All,
    Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!!

My first proper stereo was a Nad amp and a Marantz CD63 cd player with Cambridge Audio interconnects all hooked up to a pair of mission 731's.

Currently running a Rotel 930 amp with the missions hooked up and a sony DVD/HDD writer as a CD transport, and the same old Cambridge Audio interconnects!!

Cheers
    l1dge

2. Chris

Chris Active Member

Hello l1dge, that's a great setup you've got there!

I'm more of a Walkman fan myself (if you couldn't guess from the profile pic :wink2) so my current 'setup' is just a Sony D6C and some Fiio EX1 headphones...

3. l1dge

l1dge New Member

Thanks, just getting back into my HiFi along with some old retro computing :)

My "Walkman" has decided not to work after a few years in the loft and needs repairing, Panasonic RQ-S75, and trying to find someone that can fix it is almost impossible so decided to hit the forums!!

The D6C is a sweet bit of kit. Haven't seen the headphones before but they look nice too.

Chris likes this.
  4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Hello l1dge

The weather in Basingstoke must be better than Bournemouth recently.

Have you been to the Milestones Museum recently ?
    I only went shortly after it opened. If ever I find my old VCR amongst the boxes
    in the garage I will ask if they want it. When I went they did have a very good display of
    Kodak instamatics etc. (for those wondering what I am talking about here is a link).

https://hampshireculturaltrust.org.uk/milestones-museum

and proof that Walkmen are worthy of being museum pieces

http://hctcollections.org.uk/index....ory})&filename=HMCMS&hitsStart=49&hitsNext=>>

I would be interested in what retro computing you are doing. That could cover any time from the 1970s to the noughties.

5. l1dge

l1dge New Member

Hi Longman,
    Weather is awful at the moment, today is the first sunshine we've had in a couple of weeks!!

Milestones is great, took the kids there a while back and they were surprised by what we called technology back in the day :)

As for the retro stuff, I'm in the middle of resurrecting a C64 and an Amiga, and there may be an Atari 2600 added to the collection very soon!!

I've also been on the hunt for my first ever computer, a ZX81 but they are a bit hit and miss on the condition.

At some point I'd love to add a spectrum, bbc micro to the collection but I think the wife might have something to say about that!!

Cheers
    l1dge

6. Longman

I still have most of my old computers, together with a few that I have acquired over the years.
    The pre PC computers I bought and used were ZX81, TI99-4A (sold after six months), MSX then Atari ST. Somehow over the years I have accumulated two Spectrums, two C64s (for the sound) and four Amigas (2x A600 and 2 x A1200) and a couple more STs. I have had other Amigas etc and even a RM 380Z that I have since sold on.

I organise the local Amateur Radio Clubs stall at the Hamfest Radio Rally (Merley) so loads of computing stuff has been through my hands. The next one is Sunday 13th August

http://www.frars.org.uk/cgi-bin/render.pl?pageid=1444

The computing stuff seems to have died off a bit but last year someone had a Nakamichi cassette deck (I'm not sure which one) for £30.

I bought my first Spectrum there quite a few years ago for £1 mainly to stop the poor thing from drowning. The weather was like recently and it was sat outside in a plastic tray that was gradually filling up with water !

Regarding your comment about ZX81s I was talking to a colleague on Friday who said the very first soldering he ever did was assembling his ZX81 kit !

l1dge likes this.
  7. l1dge

l1dge New Member

Nice! I took my Amateur Radio License a couple of years back but relinquished my License as I was never going to be able to put the kit together. I took it mainly because I wanted to understand more about the electronics!!

Might have to pop along and have a look, never been to a HAMfest :)

I was looking for a ZX81 in kit form but they are rare as hens teeth.

I have a C64, A1200 which is currently off being recapped! I love the Amiga's, currently learning 68000 assembler, only 25 years too late!!

8. Longman

Radio Raheem and l1dge like this.
  9. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Hiya, l1dge, welcome to S2G! :wavey:

l1dge likes this.
  10. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

welcome aboard....had all the Amiga's back in the day including the Amiga 4000....such a primitive platform compared to today but loved them to bits. my mate used to run bulletin boards with them...thanks for that post on the history of the Amiga longman, nice one

l1dge and Longman like this.
  11. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Hi and welcome to the site .

l1dge likes this.
  12. l1dge

l1dge New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome from everyone!