1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from Sydney Australia

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by PJ0688, Mar 11, 2017.

1. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Hi Guys,

My name's Patrick, I'm from Sydney Australia. I'm known as Person123 on AudioKarma and PJ0688 on Tapeheads.net, so some of you may have met me before.

My Collection Consists of the following:
    Tape:
    Sony TC-D5m, WM-Ex505, WM-DD22 (don't love it, want it?), NT-2 (tiny cassette), WM-3 (needs repairs), WA-33.

MD:
    MZ-RH1, MZ-E33, MZ-NH600,

Fan of tape Walkman and HiMD Minidisc.

Dream goal is to get a WM-DC2, WM-DD9, PHA-2A (perhaps one day). As you can all see, I'm a bit of Sony Fanatic.

2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, Patrick.
    Definitely a sony fan :thumbsup:

I never had a DD22, but always seemed to me that they don't perform as good as other DDs, like the DDII or the DD30&33.
    Do they suffer from the center gear issue?

3. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Hi Hugo,
    Love your walkman archive site by the way.
    The DD22 doesn't have the click like the others, it's more like the DD10 and DD11, the sound quality on mine is nowhere near any of any of the other DD machines, perhaps it just needs servicing I'm not sure.

4. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stereo2go Patrick, you are in the correct place for everything Walkman related.:wavey:

PJ0688 likes this.
  5. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Cheers TooCool, Good advice in joining. I look forward to all the future discussions.

6. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Hi there, Patrick! Welcome, Mate! :wavey::) :wave:

PJ0688 likes this.
  7. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Hi Patrick and welcome to the forums, love the Sony TC-D5m that is a very cool piece of kit.

I'd be interested in buying the DD22 as i've actually been on the lookout for one, perhaps you could pm me a price?

I hope you enjoy it here, the community is great :bigthumbsup:

PJ0688 likes this.
  8. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Cannot say, as I neer heard one, but I bet they have cheaper mechanics and electronics than the main DDs. If you ever get a main DD, please update us...

9. TooCooL4

No problem. You will have fun here, we have some very knowledgeable people here.

10. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Cheers mate :groupwave
    Yeah my TC-D5m is probably the best portable unit I own. I'd like to get a WM-D6C so I can have the same quality but more portable with dolby C.
    I'll PM you about the DD22 if you really want it.
    Well I have ordered a DD33 from ebay (with a click unfortunately) still hasn't arrived yet, but I'm hoping it has decent sound quality. I'd ideally like a DC2, but people are asking outrageous prices on ebay, to the point I may as well save up for a DD9.
    I'd love a DD9, will get one one day.
    Yeah cheers, hopefully they can help me get this WM-3 going.

11. TooCooL4

Everybody must try things for themselves to see just how good or not it is. I have a DD9 and it never sees the light of day as I would rather use the DC2 or D6C. The DD9 is not worth the money people are asking for them.

12. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

I've heard mixed things about the DC2 and the DD9, but the DD9 doesn't have that main gear issue, has auto reverse and l like the look of the gold headphone socket. I don't want to pay the $800 AUD, but it doesn't seem like anyone will let them go for any less than that. People pay way more than that for the Nak Dragon anyway.

13. TooCooL4

I have to admit, I love the look of the DD9 and yes it does not have the main gear problems but it has problems of it's own too.

Auto-reverse is not everything, have you noticed all the best machines are simple designs. Nakamichi CR-7, Tandberg 3014, Nakamichi ZX-9 etc. The good ones with auto-reverse do it I a very flash but expansive way, Nakamichi Dragon etc.

My DD9 was a bit off, as in the reverse side sounded a bit better than the forward side. Then I gave it to dottor walkman and he fixed it so both sides sounded the same. Most auto-reverse will drift off and will need re-alignment, you don’t have this problems with ones that just play in one direction.

14. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

You're probably right about auto reverse (none of my decks have it), but it can be useful on the go, means I don't have to take the thing out of my pocket.

To each his own I guess. I prefer dolby, others prefer more dynamic range. I wish they'd made DD9 with Dolby S wonder if that doc walkman bloke could mod a DD33, DC2 or DD9 with a Dolby S chip. A Dolby S walkman would be like a dream come true for me.

15. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Hello Patrick, welcome aboard.
    You got the best portable (SONY D5)
    I am also a big fan of sony brand
    I think you are very optimistic about $800 AUD for a DD9. a nice working DD9 worth more than that

16. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Hi Boodokhan, my D5m is the best sounding of my portables, my EX505 is getting there but it still needs work, the wow & flutter is still a bit high. Out of interest though, do you have the headphones which came with the Boodo khan walkman?

17. Boodokhan

I Do have 2 Boxed Boodokhan, and both have their bulky headphones ;)

PJ0688 likes this.
  18. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

I've often wondered if those headphones sounded better than my ATH M50s.

19. Boodokhan

I am not sure , never had that ATH M50 headphone .
    But i am sure @walkman archive can answer this question.

20. TooCooL4

Dolby S is a lot more demanding and more critical of the record and playback equipment. A Walkman could not satisfy the spec’s needed for Dolby S nor the power required plus I don’t think you can fine a Dolby S chip small enough even if all the other criteria's were met.

I remember that Sony had to make their own Dolby C chip to go into the DC2, because at the time nothing was made small enough to fit in the DC2 nor meet the power constraints.

PJ0688 likes this.