1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi there

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by febed01, Mar 15, 2017.

1. febed01

febed01 New Member

Hi there :)

I'm a 45y/o kid who loves interacting with analog things, while still working in an IT department.

I don't have any of my cassette players/recorders I had when I was a kid/teen but I still have most of my old cassettes, and thanks to the internet and flea markets I now have "new" toys to play/record them.

I also like MiniDisc, tried DAT (but didn't really catch), and rediscovered the fun of film photography.

See you soon,

Frederic

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Hello febed01
    Now its the time to find a nice cassette player and enjoy listening to your cassettes.

3. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Hello, Frederic, welcome! :)

4. febed01

febed01 New Member

Thanks for your welcoming messages :)

Here are the machines I got since I'm using cassettes again (and their condition) :

Recorders :
    * Sony WM-D6 (not C, great sound, etc, but the pause button stays stuck (probably sticky oil) and I have to partially open its case to put it back in place, so I don't use the pause button)
    * Sony TCS-310 (very nice sound, records and plays, but the rew-cue and built-in speaker don't work)
    * Sony TCS-580V (fully working, built-in mics have a lot of white noise but I don't know if it's normal)
    * Aiwa HS-J350 (fully working)
    * Panasonic "Stereo to go" RQ-J6 (sound not very good, volume knobs crackling)
    * Sony TC-150 (suffered from battery leakage, so hardly works on batteries, lots of wow/flutter, dropouts)
    * Larsen JC660EQ, with radio and built-in speakers, records only radio (speed problem, buttons tends to fly in the air when you press stop)
    * Marantz CP230 (fully working except I can't power plug doesn't work (only works on batteries))

Players :
    * Aiwa PX547 (worked a few weeks, then got stuck in some kind of auto-reverse infinite loop even when trying to stop)
    * Sony WM-EX674 (fully working, with its AA adaptor (gumstick battery dead))
    * Aiwa RX310 with radio (perfectly working)
    * Sony WM-F35 "sport", with radio (perfectly working, blue color faded to greenish)
    * Sony WM-DD "Quartz" (works but have central gear crack)

As you see most of them have problems, but I have enough to play, record and have fun. I also have mini/microcassette pocket recorders and minidisc units but it will be another subject.

5. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome Frederic, i too work in IT and also love B&W film photography :thumbsup:

6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Welcome Frederic,

I wonder if you have tried to get the same models as the ones you had in the past.

As you might have guessed from other threads we love photos, even if it is just a group shot of some of your collection.

7. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Frederic.
    That's a good starting point, and many of us like to get the same players, or the ones we always wanted. That is a lot of fun.

8. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Welcome Fred, lots of nice machines you got there. Hopefully with some info from members you can get them fixed up. Now show us some pics!

9. febed01

febed01 New Member

Hi everyone :) I'll post pictures ASAP !
    @Longman : The only one from the past I bought again was the Aiwa PX57, but it didn't work for long ;)

10. febed01

febed01 New Member

11. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

your collection look very clean and minty
    nice collection, thanks for sharing the pictures

12. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Nice Walkmans Fred. Welcome to the site .

13. subcode

subcode New Member

Welcome Fred! Nice collection :ok