1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea: a tape label for stereo 2 go mixtapes.

Discussion in 'Cassettes & Mixtape exchange' started by speedy2.0, Nov 8, 2017.

1. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Basically, I haven’t thought this through. But, if the buyer pays for the shipping, and the cost of the tape, why can’t we send out mixtapes to people who want them?

We could have a competition, and the winner gets his or her mixtape made into a run of... ten? Tapes. Someone could design the J card, and we’d need to get them reproduced by someone, or get a studio to do it but they would charge more. We could do a couple a year.

The label could even put out artists original music too.

I mean it’s not as full of love as a personal, slaved over tape made for one person.

How does a person even start a tape label?

2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I love the enthusiasm.

I dunno about a tape label but there was a mixtape exchange thread, we should get that running with more participants for starters and we could go from there.

I am awaiting my recording deck before i can do anything, its in for repair.

3. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm, I like the idea. I think we can do that, whenever there are around 10-15 copies.
    And we can manage the competition here in S2G. I just hope that it causes no copyright issue as it would be something "between friends", so no commercial use.
    l'll discuss it with @TJ Autoreverse and @mankamaz to see what they think about it.
    Thanks for the idea!

4. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

This is a cool idea

5. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Woah! Cool designs!

@walkman I agree about licensing. As long as no profit is made there is no damage to any licence holder, and I would imagine as a promotional tool it would be profit so it would have to be for members only at zero cost, and at minimum cost to the member. Just have to be careful to make this clear I guess.

As a bit of interest the big argument against Metallica in the Napster case was that their record sales went up because of free downloading, but they successfully argued that isn’t the point, the point is it’s theirs and they worked hard on it.

6. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Don't we have a new member who runs her own tape label? let's ask him!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  7. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Who is her?

8. Command8

Command8 Active Member

@fattape
    I didnt know Charlie is a boy's name, sorry.

9. edchocolate

edchocolate Member

hello MixTape Empresarios
    thats tru regarding the copyrights... but its not a minefield and its easy to navigate.
    1. if its only a small closed release to a membership then most labels will allow you to use the material for correct informationon the tape. For them its a promotional tool of legacy product. In fact a standard record contract has dispensation for this.
    2. creative commons material is even more compliant. a lot of streamed stuff is easily identified if one reads the meta data.
    3. much awesome material on Bandcamp is also easy to locate/contact and negotiate for.
    4. i bet theres stereo2go members who have actually made music and would be chuft as nutz to see their ouvres on a S2G mixtape

generating compilations is dead easy basically.. making the cassettes even easier.. MPO will provide happily. Their UK partners Mayking probably still have the pancake machines to dub em off...!

ive been doing just this for most of my working life. feel free to pm me if you want to natter
    yay!
    Friends, Romans, Countrymen... lend me your cassettes

;)

10. edchocolate

edchocolate Member

er... if you own the music .... you may generate copies as the law changed last year. Distributing them tho is illegal.. so the mixtape exchange is nudging the law somewhat.
    as this is a club of sorts.. well, its not likely anyones going get in trouble. as to numbers ... really above six copies for other media playback devices and again the law starts to apply. passing them on to six friends.. this is called BOOTLEGGING and is a crime. but then again i doubt any freakytapey S2G sharer is ganna get nicked... but dont pretend its not what it is.
    Tape compilation labels are an honourable force for good. I hope all you folks love the medium as much as me. A great well recorded mixtape for us... this we aspire to. We oughta be above petty theft and capable of marshalling the respect we deserve. I think this idea is brilliant ... lets do it properly.
    thankyou for listening. apologies for the bubble burstin legal truth
    yup
    ],)

11. edchocolate

edchocolate Member

er... theres 4,880 members on this site.. almost 50,000 posts... thats a very active membership... id think a hell of a lot more than 10 would want a S2G tape... a conservative number is more like 500! though the first would probably do a lot more.
    If these were pre-ordered then there would be no out lay. Most manufacturers will give you 90days end of month on pre-orders... so no accounting issues there either. As we’re such a large group .. the potential is even better. Translating into an even better manufacturing price per unit. Taken over say a three year period of four comps a year.., the unit price gets even better again.
    That kinda business is good for distributers too... so Bandcamp will want to stock it.. CDbaby (if they still exist!) Amazon iTunes... Which to me is obvious.
    We aint playing here! Tape is our super power! Stereo2Go is line in the sand.
    right on freakytapers

12. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

edchocolate likes this.
  13. edchocolate

edchocolate Member

fair point Longman.. they’re not exactly stereo2go though are they? but just made available to us/marketed via our forum..? ones a library the others a label... or have missed something?

this thread starter is a heap closer to home. starting from an extended mixtape idea...

between the two sits the elephant.

its not genres of music that bring us here but tape, specifically portable tape... and the machines that enable that. more than a passing interest too id say...

that in itself is remarkable. the folk here are rarer than smoke we’re spread so thin. how we’ve found each other is frankly amazing. our common binding interest and knowledge is worthy of more from us all.
    a stereo2go tape should reflect that. its possible to generate a quality of recording by specific techniques and forethought for a cassette of superlative quality. a reference recording.
    those other worthy charities compiled and distributed im sure a great listen. id hope stereo2go meant first an amazing tape, something we would all appreciate.

14. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That is absolutely correct. From the http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads...rom-old-stereo2go-site.353/page-26#post-49881
    thread you can tell what a wide variety of music people here like. I also wonder how much musical tastes depends on age, I have no idea how old you are or what types of music you like but many people seem to use cassettes to relive their youth. I got my first cassette recorder, and a pre-recorded tape of Vangelis Albedo 0.39 all the way back in 1976.
    I try not to criticise modern music as I remember how disparaging people were about artists like Gary Numan when they first entered the charts, but do find that the modern stuff I like the most, like the Weeknd sounds as if it could have been recorded in the 1980s.

15. edchocolate

edchocolate Member

me? im a veteran! my first record was Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrel - You Living Until You’re Lovin’ Baby...
    I didnt stop there though.. if a tunes good .. its good! Eventually i had a few labels meself, recorded bands .. played in bands.. if you want check out youtube for itp records, honeydipped records , el chocolates records or even Jeep Grrlz a 90’s techno/house affair.
    anyhoo.. tape...all the way through from tape opping in birmingham as a teenager to today enjoying playback from a portable i am fully able to service. not much has changed.. i can still hear!
    y’kno thats what struck me about here and about us members is how varied we are. linked by a medium that is quite simply great sounding. it is isnt it?
    im not reliving my youth .. im
    living my life. a long varied life.

Attached Files:

16. edchocolate

edchocolate Member

*you aint livin til youre lovin...doh

and ...er.. my ..er...workspace....SkyLab