1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In what way the DC2's sound better than other good sounding Walkmans?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by vincentv478, May 20, 2017.

1. vincentv478

vincentv478 Member

As some of you know I recently got a WM-dd33 walkman.
    Although it is a great addition to my collection, the sound is not that great and since most of the members here are convinced that dc2 has the ultimate sound quality, I want some opinions on how the sound differs from the dd33 before spending a lot of money on one.
    I will obviously snag one if I can find one for cheap but I haven't seen one listed for reasonable price in the near past.

I use IEMs for most of my listening, my primary IEMs are Yamaha EPH-100 and Q-jays gen II.

My best walkman for sound are: Sony EX5 with RV (ON for type-I and OFF for type-II.), Panasonic SX75 and Sony EX-2000.

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

You cannot read about sound, you have to experience it for yourself to get what it is all about.
    The best way to know what everyone is talking about is to have a listen to the units side by side.

Oh I would not say the DC2 is the ultimate, but it’s a good compromise with regard to sound quality and size. The ultimate one I have for sound is the D6C.

3. Chris

Chris Active Member

I don't own a DC2, but the sound quality on my TCM-17 is excellent even though it's main purpose is to record.

4. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

IT is all so subjective..... What music, what headphone, what About your OWN taste, dynamics, Balance, grinta, depth, soundscape, etc etc etc.... Millions of factors to compare..... And another million different recording aspects..... Also what kind of tape is used.... We can discuss all year long of what walkman is the best.... Like TC4 says ... You have to listen to all and find your sweetheart yourself! But with buying a DD30,DC2,D6C, DD100 or DD9.... You never do wrong.... Even a Panasonic like RX-S40 or RQ-S60/S80 or RQ-S7 do play as the best out there...happy hunting on your quest....

Boodokhan likes this.
  5. vincentv478

vincentv478 Member

I am pretty sure a lot of people on head-fi are going to disagree with this statement. I have been reading reviews by member ljokerl for years and bought many iems via his recommendations and was pleasantly surprised to find exactly what I wanted. We just need a baseline to compare when speaking about it.

All I need to know is wether there is hollowness to the sound and if the top end is crisp on the DC2. The upper mid-range is hollow in the DD33 and the overall sound has a thick liquid nature to it that I don't enjoy.

Also, it would be helpful to know from someone who has both of these and some other walkmans wether they can detect the sound characteristics of dd33 to be similar to my description.

6. TooCooL4

I am sure some of them will disagree, but reading what someone has written does not really tell you what something sounds like. Sure you have read reviews and bought things based on them and it has worked for you. Me personally I take reviews with a pinch of salt, I listen with my own ears to make my own choices. It’s me that is parting with the money and it’s me that has to live with it so I take no ones say so.

When ever people ask me for advice, I tell them what I think but always finish with it’s your ears that matters take your music and go and listen for yourself because ultimately only you know what you really like.

The amount of money I spend on things I like to listen for myself and I will often take things home for a weekend or week to use it in the rest of my setup, because that is the only way to truly know.

I have all the units you talk about and they are all different, I could describe the sound till I am blue in the face but you will not really know till you try them for yourself.
    I have the D6C, DC2, DD9 and DD33 like I said they are all different and incidentally they order I listed them in is the best order to me but other people have put the DD9 first and others have put the DC2 first, so like I am saying you need to try things for yourself.

7. vincentv478

vincentv478 Member

Thanks for repeating yourself but wether I can get a feel for sound based on writing is not the point of discussion here. My question is a request to attempt a comparison and not wether such a comparison is valid.

D6C> DC2 > DD9 > DD33 is also a subjective opinion but one that is void of any details or context.

8. TooCooL4

Okay fine.

Yes the D6C ==> DC2 ==> DD9 ==> DD33 is subjective, which is exactly what I am saying people need to try for themselves.
    I do not part with my money on someone else’s say so, anyway to each his / her own.

9. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

@vincentv478
    To be short.... Your DD33 is not the best.... But the sound you refer to as very hollow is not what i recall of the 33... So maybe your walkman might not be at the right specs..... I can only recommand the DD30 if you are looking for budget.... And if not, try the DC2 ( if no basshead) or DD100/DD9 if you like plenty of bass....

10. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Hmmm will be getting my first DC2 in a few weeks. Can't wait to get it up and running and experience the sound differences to my other walkmans.

11. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Just to play devils advocate here for a moment.... have you ruled out all
    Possible reasons for its lacklustre performance?
    Head alignment
    Demag'd the head and capstans etc?

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, and yes, the DC2 is a better sounding machine.... but the differences are subtle at best.

C

12. vincentv478

vincentv478 Member

I don't think its a mechanical issue with the player. I feel like the amp design is simply limited to the technology of its age. The sound signature is very similar to an old boombox, its a characteristically thick sound with rolled off highs and boxy bass that is recognizable to me. The differences here are also subtle, it doesn't sound horrible or anything just not the step-up in fidelity that I was expecting.

13. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hi BB.... What are your first impressions??

14. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

To be honest I haven't tried a cassette yet although it does work. I got a whole bunch of walkmans today so will spend a few hours over the weekend to see which ones need belts, cleaning etc.

15. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

No time to be bored....:)

16. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I understand all your points of view, fellows

I understand what you mean, Chris. There are some things that you have to experience yourself.

Reading about a description of how a device sounds is subjetive and it depends on the gear you use with it, but the baseline can be helpful. when I read about the new FOCAL ELEAR headphones (Tyll from Innerfidelity) I was so excited. I think I got the idea but when I listened to them I had not the same sensations, though the baseline was correct: a powerful, exciting soung with hard kick of drums.

To me, those statements ('liquid nature', ...) did sound like reading chinese to me just a few years ago. Now I know what you mean, but words doesn't describe our emotions properly, though they are the best tool we have to describe them. They only way to know the sensation is to feel it by yourself indeed.

To me, going through an external amp, the 'Holy Trinity' (-> DD9, DC2 and D6C) do all sound pretty close, with subtle differences in soundstage and definition. When you connect the headphones directly to them, differences become higher. D6C wins to me, followed by the DD9 and the DC2. I need to clarify that I'm talking about my 'super' versions, all restored and upgraded by @Doctor Walkman .
    But things can change quite notoriously if using standard versions. And, i.e. regarding the D6C things can be very different depending on its serial number. Later versions do sound much worse (hollow and thin) than early numbers (much rich sound).
    The DD33 sounds very good but you realize that it is inferior only when you compare it directly to any of the 'holy trinity'. Otherwise it sounds just great (to me).

I tested them using tapes recorded on my Nak RX-505 from vinyl and Beyerdynamic DT990 (250 Ohms).

17. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Ok so here's my take on the DC2. I have one that has a broken gear and after further inspection it looks like it has never had a service. Popped in two fresh AA's and pressed play on a SA XG 90 min cassette recorded on a TC k611s that has been cleaned, serviced with new pinch rollers and belts. The sound is amazing compared to other walkmans I have for example the WM 10's 20's etc. My DC2 is the only high end Walkman that I own and even in it's current condition the sound is superb. I think "sound" is subjective. It all depends on how the cassette is recorded. If you put in a crap cassette you'll get crap sound. I can tell you I get fantastic sound from one of my WM 101's with absolutely no wow and flutter also using the same SA XG cassette. I'm not very familiar with the DC2 and DD series but I'm getting a few of them in the next few weeks and will be getting them all sent to Marian for repairs hopefully with the new gear he is developing. I'm more concerned with the $$$$$ that its gonna cost me. HEHEHEHEH.

18. TooCooL4

Like you said you already like the sound before it’s service / fixed, Once you have it fixed you will enjoy it even more and the “$$$$” spent will be worth it. It’s only not worth it if you are a collector and are just going to leave it on a shelf to look at.

I have many and I have them all fixed and service, I rotate them so I don’t put all the ware and tear on one unit.

buzbox likes this.
  19. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

I'm more of a collector but still would like to have all my Walkmans in working condition. I really hate it when something doesn't work. :)

20. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

If you already its sound you'll be spending the money well worth it.
    What headphones are you using?