1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interesting article from 1981

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by autoreverser, Jan 15, 2018.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...found this in the ELECTRONICS magazine from june 16th, 1981 and thought it might be of interest:

Attached Files:

Mister X and Longman like this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Interesting article.

What the companies bringing out Micro-Cassettes failed to grasp was that it was all about the media.

I know 8 track was more popular in the USA, but by the 1970s Cassettes were a very popular medium, especially in cars with
    pre-recorded ones being readily available and many music centre type stereos incorporating tape decks. To prove the point
    here is a UK catalogue listing from 1974. Interesting that some top artists like Donny Osmond aren't even available from them on
    8 track while the price is higher for cassettes and even higher for 8 track cartridges compared to LPs.
    With something like item F on the second page you would be all ready to start making cassettes for your car five years before the Walkman was launched.

1974 John Noble Cassettes.pdf.jpeg 1974 John Noble fidelity.pdf.jpeg

I would guess that most people who bought the first Personal Stereos already had a stash of tapes and suddenly saw an opportunity to use them outside of the home or car. I didn't get one in 1981 as I was spending my money on my first car and a Motorola tape player (which cost much less than a Walkman) to go in it.

autoreverser likes this.
  3. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

very interesting when you have a closer look is, that cassettes were more expensive then records !

4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

If you were lucky enough to own a music centre you could buy three C60s for £1.30 in the same catalogue to tape your LPs.
    I wonder why they later thought "Home taping is killing music" ?

Interestingly there is also a blank 8 track cartridge in the catalogue. £1.99 for a single cartridge.
    No wonder 8 track was dying.