1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just (3D) print it.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Antoni, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

Curious on how the 3D printing industry has help this hobby.
    Has anyone been able to buy or print their own obsolete or hard to find parts?

2. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

As it happens I’ve been looking into this. From the wise men’s advice gears and moving parts are too small, printer resolution is too low and plastic not strong enough. to make a battery cover or larger surface is much easier but the colour and density will not be a match so you’ll need sprays and experiment until its is as close as you can make it. These larger parts are also easy to find, so not much use to 3D print.

It’s a shame, I wanted to buy a 3D printer and learn a new hobby! I still might

3. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

This company based in Canada could help out as they claim to print in strong, detailed printing.

Shapeways.com

4. Chris

Chris Active Member

I've been looking at 3D printing WM-22 battery covers as they seem to go missing very easily. I have access to free 3D printing, would need to get a scanner though.

5. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

What about getting the exact measurements from a cover, won't that work too?

I have the WM-11 which is basically the same, I think the only change that, I can see is the colour. (mine is red)

6. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Printing is not the most important issue, though some parts cannot be printed like glassy Walkman parts.
    Designing the part need excellent knowledge of AutoCAD or similar softwares.

7. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

You are correct, shiny parts are a no go for 3d printers however, I don't think the OP would care much for a shiny battery cover that, goes on the back so long as it works?

8. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

the main problem is how to design the battery holder. You must design it perfectly in order to work.