1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just received a Sanyo m-g3

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Command8, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Ever since I saw this model while checking out cool Casio's, on the pocketcalculatorshow.com I knew I needed it.
    I got in touch with a seller and finally received it. Interestingly enough, it plays! Though it makes some grinding noise if played vertically so for now, i'll play it while it's horizontal. Dirty pots as expected.

It is a highly unusual Sanyo Walkman, does anyone else have it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Boodokhan and Risingsunproject like this.
  2. Roman666

Roman666 Member

It looks really cool!

3. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Thanks, it even records just as well.

Sadly the mechanism isn't working right, the buttons dont stay down...

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Command8 likes this.
  5. A O

A O Active Member

Aren't they great? I have this and it's probably my favourite walkman. It's old, it sounds good, it records, it's rare and it's sublime design is almost faultless. Check my pics in Mister X's post. The grinding sound sounds like your back has been pushed in and is grinding on the belt wheels. You might want to take the back off and take a look, could be an easy fix. Do you have the headphones for yours? These also are superb.

6. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Could you link Mister X's post, if possible? I have been unable to find it.
    No sadly, only the walkman.
    In my attempts to fix it, I broke it. For an idiotic reason, I thought it would be a good idea to use wd40 to lubricate the stiff mechanical controls, now the buttons won't stay down. ( -_-)
    Something that interests me though is the microphone inputs, specifically the left one which implies that i can connect a stereo aux cable, would it be feasible to record from a line out signal or is it only for microphones?

7. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

It’s a very beautiful Walkman indeed.

8. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

image.jpg For months now I am trying to revive my Aiwa: same design, bitch to fix!

9. A O

A O Active Member

Jorge - Sadly the TPS-30 is a bugger to fix. I take it you want to change the belt? If so then you need to de-solder a lot of fiddly stuff.

Command8 - Here is the link - http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?content_oid=407468384618717323&board_oid=193392314111653418

I created the original post as I was so blown away by this thing.

I'm also interested in what you say about the mic jacks. I was under the impression that these were just for seperate mono L & R jacks. I had an Aiwa CS-J1 once with the same and I was lucky enough to get the mic too which did in fact have two mono jacks despite being a stereo mic.

[​IMG]

10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Yes, it is already re-belted and recapped, plays very nicely. But Rec fails to engage: since I did not/do not care about using S30 as a recorder, I forgot to check this function when it was gutted. Anyway, I am not going to sidetrack this thread any more, if I ever fix S30, I shall post my tribulations at Walkman-TechTalk.

11. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I accidentally broke the record detection metal part, if its the same design you should consider checking ou the detection part.

Jorge likes this.
  12. Norm M.

Norm M. New Member

Actually, I own one of these cassette recorders/players. I bought mine from a hi-fi shop in Northern Ontario decades ago. I remember it cost me $250 Canadian.

I remember having to send it away under warranty repair. I think it had a flutter issue and the repair depot replaced the motor.

My unit is in working order after all these years of constant use. I will never part with it.

I probably still have the headphones too but I have a pair of AKG K403's I'm using which sound much better (I bought those at Winners for $11 but sound like they cost ten times that price.)

In terms of styling, I think it's one of the most beautiful electronic device I have. The brushed aluminum and curves are absolutely gorgeous. Its lines are unique among audio playback gear.

I've always used the highest quality cassettes so the belts were never strained and the heads haven't been subjected to excessive wear and tear from coarse tape formulations.

I bought a cheap G.E. cassette player for when I went out on my exercise walks. I would never risk getting mugged wearing my Sanyo M-G3.

It has served me well over the years. Sonically, my cellphone blows it out of the water but I still enjoy playing my tapes through it from time to time. It reminds me of the good times.