1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC PC3 repair - one channel not working

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by David Waterman, Feb 7, 2018.

1. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

Hi,

I have a JVC PC3, but one channel isn't working. I switched the speakers, so I know it's not one of those. I also tried to switch the RCA plugs, but it still seemed to stay on the one channel.
    I imagine it might be part of the amplifier.

Is this something that might be possible for me to repair?

Max.
    It looks like this (actually, even the speakers have been replaced, like on mine):
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/568720259177194109/visual-search/?x=16&y=11&w=530&h=353

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

there is a good chance its an easy fix, but you have to narrow down where you lose the signal. When you switch RCAs, does the dead channel switches too? Try line-in from the working Discman or something, then check line-out.

More often then not its the front panel knobs and switches which go totally bad.

If it gets to the point of actually tracing the board, having one working channel helps a lot.

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

If your not familiar with DeOxit, I'd read up on that, Google Arkay's Guide to DeOxit and read that thread on the audiokarma forum. I always start with the easy stuff first like checking the headphone jack as well and see if your getting both channels, and checking after using the cassette,radio and line-in and see if your getting the same results.

I've got old prerecorded cassettes that lose a channel after 30-40 years. After doing the easy stuff then I check the RCA connectors for loose or broken wires on the inside of the unit. About 98% of the time, my problem is solved after these first steps.

4. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

Some nice tips here, thanks.

I think I did check the RCA cables, but worth doing it again and/or being more organised about it.
    I hadn't thought to check the headphone jack, and that sounds (ha) like it might be a good indicator of if the problem is in an IC somewhere; likewise for all the different sources. I can't even remember what source I used in my initial test since it was a while ago.

Anyway, very encouraging tips, and also quite within my capabilities, I think :)

Thanks!

5. David Waterman

David Waterman Member

LOL, when I do that search, this very post comes up as the 4th result :)