1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser transplant on Sony discman?

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by odyrock, Dec 15, 2016.

1. odyrock

odyrock New Member

Have any of you managed to make a laser transplant on your Sony discman with success?
    I am thinking of doing this to my d-311, but am not sure if this would work? At this point it cannot read any cds.

Thank you

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I would like to know more about this issue. What is the process called? Who can do this process?
    I have a d-88 and i will do anything to have it fixed

3. odyrock

odyrock New Member

The only thing I know, is that you have to find the right laser head model (that would normally be : KSSxxxx, in my case kss350a), and then do the transplant (at this point you should know very well how to use soldering iron). But my knowledge stops here as i do not know how to do this, or if the results are satisfying, as I am in the process of acquiring a new laser head.

4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I'm sure this would be possible with parts/donor unit and the skills to do it..

nev4eh8959 likes this.
  5. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

I have done this a few times but not just the laser assembly, I got my minty D88, D150, D40 and D30 fully working again by looking for fully working but poor external condition units and swapping the complete internals over, not a difficult as you might think, but still involved some soldering work.

6. Boodokhan

Where should I get the laser transplant Part?
    I need this specific part for D88
    Is there any link?
    Thanks

7. odyrock

odyrock New Member

Well, you must first find out the model of the laser you are looking for.
    You can find this info by searching for your model's laser head. If you have no luck, let me know and i'll have a look.
    And then what you have to do is find a replacement laser unit and try to do the transplant!

I also found this, to be a must read for everyone interested in repairing hid own cd player : https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm#cdcdnoise

Brutus442 likes this.
  8. odyrock

odyrock New Member

It looks from this list that your model is : 884816711
    You can check it from here : http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/philips_cdm_cd_mechanisme_list/

So you should find that part, or find a model that use the same part, and take the laser out and into your own d88.

But all this is theoretical. I have not tried this yet, so cannot comment on the success rate of this operation..

9. Boodokhan

Thanks for all the information. Please let us know when you perform this procedure about the result

10. odyrock

odyrock New Member

Sure.
    it may take some time to source the replacement part, but I will update this thread to let you know.

Brutus442 likes this.
  11. odyrock

odyrock New Member

12. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Are you sure it's the laser? Does the disc spin when you press play?

13. Boodokhan

disk spin and creates buzzing sound
    I am going to open this device and see whether or not get some good results by cleaning.

14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Just this weekend I finished transplantation of KSS220 laser from D-11 into D-90 which had KSS162. Procedure is pretty straightforward, and on a scale from 1 to 10 where 2 is unfreezing famous middle gear, 5 is installing a new spindle motor, and 10 is installation/alignment of a new laser, this is solid three. You do not even have to take it apart, just remove top cover and sled rod. New laser mech pops in, all you have to do is readjust tracking and focus pots.
    BOOKHAN, for D-88 your chances of getting better laser mech are low, the only other Discman using KSS167 laser mech is D-555 (check "PCDP Components" MS Excel table at square-2.com). Dood luck finding D-88 or D-555 for cheap ;-(
    the only person on the Planet who can fix Any Discman is Kaosun (find him on eBay or at kaosuncd.com), he resurrected my beautiful Philips AZ 6892 (I see that MANKAMAZ here also loves it). Kaosun took apart the mechanism itself, put a brand-new laser, then realigned it! Wish I knew how he does that, but it is his "know-how". Check my posts at his site for the photos of "seriously disturbed" Philips laser mechanisms. I will never touch other Philips PCDP in my life!!!
    Open D-88, and check if the mechanism itself is intact. If gears are broken then its a big problem. If all seems intact, then it can be fixed. 70% chances that it is just dead power supply electrolytics. They are rated at 10V but Sony adapters give 12-13V instead of 9V (well, at least the ones made for 120V ac)

Brutus442 likes this.
  15. Boodokhan

Can you please send me his email or any contact # or direct link
    I can not locate him on ebay ( Does he have Ebay store ?0 any link to the store?

Thank you so much:groupwave

16. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

17. Boodokhan

thanks for the link
    I sent a message to this person on Ebay. Will update you with the result

Brutus442 likes this.
  18. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I am following this thread! I have two that I'd love to get back to form! Let us know how it goes Boodokhan because I'll probably do the same when I get some $$ together.

Boodokhan likes this.
  19. Boodokhan

The good news for me is this guy is in America
    He accepted my D-88, will update you

Brutus442 likes this.
  20. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Thanks!