1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logo

Discussion in 'Announcements and suggestions' started by samovar, Dec 7, 2016.

1. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

I have already posted the following in the old site, but I think it's worth reposting it here in edited format:

I suggest to improve the logo when the time comes. It looks slightly undecided to my eyes -- both for the text (all in block letters) and the pictures. Hope this can be improved at some point -- unless of course I'm the only one to think that improvements on this front are welcome.

May I?

Text Of course block letters are neither good nor bad per se. But maybe either all lowercase as in the old logo (so as to suggest continuity: stereo2go/ stereo (2) go, etc), or an Upper/Lowercase alternance (Stereo2Go/ Stereo (2) Go... etc) are preferable to the block letter (STEREO (2) GO) solution.

Typeface I don't recognize the one that is being used at the moment. It is not bad at all, but maybe there are better ones. This is difficult to say in abstract, as the typeface should be in accordance with the images (for instance, the two "O"s of "stereO2gO in the present logo correspond with the dustcaps of a the boombox in the background).

Images As a boombox freak, I'd try to use pics of extremely iconic boomboxes. Now there are plenty of iconic boxes around. The black Panasonic is an excellent unit, but in terms of representativeness it is not on pair with the walkmans featured in the logo. 1970s and 1980s boxes are usually more visual and beautiful, and definitely more iconic -- that's just my opinion and I'd like to read other people's ideas on this point.

Overall effect When I look at the logo I get a saturation effect. The logo seems to suffer from horror vacui (ie., fear of void). Maybe less is better? I don't know, really, but I get the impression that the logo is somehow crowded...

Please take the above observations as an attempt to contribute to a better site, not as criticism [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    deech and Brutus442 like this.
  2. docs

docs Member

Seconded all of the above.

3. Metad

Metad New Member

"if it aint broke, dont fix it"
    Why not to leave the old logo and font? It's simple and clean, and recognizable, the most important - the history behind this logo. The logo is a trademark and heritage. Why to refuse it?

4. Fatdog

Fatdog New Member

I have the original Adobe Illustrator logo for S2G that Paul sent me long ago. That is always an option if the admins want to use it.

Brutus442 likes this.
  5. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

The old logo was very well thought, it looks nice at first glance and then when you see the details one by one you recognize the connoisseur symbols :

-The main color is Blue like the Sony TPS-L2 Walkman that brought Stereo to Go concept to the masses and that first walkman was blue to be color coded with the blue jeans of the young people that was aimed for.

-The Sony TPS-L2 itself poses in front left like the beginning of a text.

-Then the orange headphones that came originally with the TPS-L2 that in turn were color coded with the orange hot line button.

-The fonts of the words BOOMBOXES ,WALKMAN, PORTABLE AUDIO resemble the fonts of the WALKMAN logo of that era.

draft15.gif
    So the old logo was a conceptual, well thought and well executed one, that's why it has that appeal .

Yes we can keep it if you ask me but we entered a totally new era not only Stereo2Go but the whole concept of portable audio so it is an opportunity for a new logo, but it will be a challenge it has to be conceptual with iconic symbols from both Boombox and Walkman worlds and of course well executed.

Why not organize a contest maybe there are skillful members that can help and if there are many choices we can vote for the best one.

samovar, deech, Brutus442 and 2 others like this.
  6. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

These are great ideas above. I do love the original but a freshening up is always welcome...as is contributions from members!

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

8. samovar

The silver boombox on the old logo was a Sharp CT-6001

Sharp CT-6001.jpg

Machaneus likes this.
  9. davebush

davebush Active Member

Why not have a changeing logo like on Bobby`s site................just sayin

mraiwa1000 likes this.
  10. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for your suggestions Samovar. But my main aim now are getting the site full working without issues. I still have issues to solve. I'll take a look at this later when I have some more time and inspiration...

11. hugo

hugo Member

I like this new one a lot more than the old one,
    don't know what it is but it looks very professional, the colors are great and refreshing.

12. samovar

I back up sotza's suggestion. Elsewhere deech wrote that he is working on a new logo, which is great news. But a contest is more fun. What do you think? :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Ball000 likes this.
  13. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Red is very catchy
    I would love to see red color in the logo or background (as we can see a red walkman)