1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for this adapter

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by imaginary_east, Dec 28, 2017.

1. imaginary_east

imaginary_east New Member

This is an adapter for certain headphones and small remotes that Sony used i think only in the 90's. I have various cassette walkmans that use this plug. Can anyone help me with a part # or anything at all that i can use to track one of these down?
    Thanks in advance,
    brian
    [​IMG]

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I cannot see your photo
    Can you upload your photo again?

3. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

These used to be available off the shelf in Japan a few years back but I checked recently and I couldn't find them anywhere. I think they've likely gone out of production.

Let me check one of mine when I get home for the model number.

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

5. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

That is indeed it! Confirmation from Sony that it's discontinued here.

Looks like you can still find them but people are charging a premium...according to Sony these retailed for 800 yen. The last time I saw one in a normal shop was probably around 2007, not sure when they were finally discontinued. I looked around a bit more in Japanese and couldn't find anyone selling them for cheaper than that Amazon link.

6. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

7. imaginary_east

8. imaginary_east

not sure why you can't see it. i don't even have to click on the link to see it. (it appears inline to the post)

9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

This was fun a few weeks ago listening to the guys going after this same adapter, $30 seemed too much! the seller posted on eBay and the end result is HERE
    Good Luck!!!

10. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

Oh my. I picked up a WM-R707 complete in box (including this adapter!) for less that that maybe 6 months ago...I guess all it takes is two people that really want it.

11. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

You r one lucky ........!! I wish someone would post a list of Walkmans with such h/p jacks! I could not help noticing that such Walkmans listed on eBay always miss the side w/hphone jack!

12. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

Yeah, totally. People that aren't familiar with these models would never consider they won't have a normal headphone jack. Discmans always had the normal jack next to the remote terminals. I guess there wasn't enough room for both in these early remote-equipped Walkman models.

I'm pretty sure this jack first appeared on the WM-701C in 1989 and was used on all Sony remote-equipped Walkmans until the WM-EX1 came out in 1994. That was the first one that used the hybrid connector with a 3.5 and remote contacts.

Jorge and Ball000 like this.
  13. TonyL

TonyL New Member

14. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

£59.00 = 59 British Pound equals $81.24 US Dollar amazing for that little green/black adapter to allow you to plug in your 3.5mm or 1/8inch plug into the rare sony cassette Walkman that has the flat four pins receptacle for the remote control included with the original headphones but if you want you use after-market headphones you will need this little adapter , and just wow ...

15. TonyL

TonyL New Member

I agree. I currently have two for sale. if someone will be interested, please contact me

Attached Files: