1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minidisc Small Collection

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Ken80s, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the minidisc. I agree about your comments, for my experience minidisc would be the nearest substitute to analog if not CD. I noticed that the output of minidisc is somewhat lack of sound pressure which also cause less fatigue for long listening. The most significant what I experience with the minidisc player was headphone compatibility.

James Tervit likes this.
  2. Jørn Bonne

Jørn Bonne Member

Nice Collection, Ken, and a very fine presentation.

I have used Sony Walkman MDs for many years to make "best of" collections of recordings with favourite artists in Jazz, Blues, Rhythm and Blues, Soul and related genres. A small group of friends share this interst and we have found the MD format to be ideal for enjoying programs at our get-togethers.

After having used many different models through the years we have settled on the Sony MZ-R909, MZ-R910 and MZ-N1 as our favourites. Good audio quality on these recorders, that can record from analog sources (e.g. LPs) via Line In or digitally (e.g. CDs) via Optical In. The MD format is data compressed but most people will have a hard time hearing any difference from the original recordings when using SP mode. These models have good built-in EQ control and other nice features in the menues - plus a very handy remote control.

The down side is that Sony Walkman MD players are quite fragile and may break down after a while from wear and tear. Usually due to the laser and magnetic heads loosing their position in relation to the disc surface over time, causing difficulties in reading from and writing to disc. The thin arms that hold the heads in place may loose their strength and cause the heads to slide away from their critical positions. Another well known issue is that the ribbon cable connecting the write head may break over time.

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/8680-a-solution-to-blankdisc-and-recording-problems/?page=1

For this reason I buy new players every year, when I find them at a reasonable price, to always have back-up players available. The MD discs are very rugged in my experience and I haven't run into any problems with good quality Sony blanks.

JB

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    James Tervit and Ken80s like this.
  3. joel eidbo

joel eidbo New Member

beautiful display!

James Tervit likes this.
  4. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Wonderful collection congratulations and I find that MD is as good sounding through my DAC as anything. I have a couple of MD players, 2 portables and a Sony deck all the models are in my sig below. If anyone wants to swap me anything for two of my mint portables please PM me. I just will never use them and better to go to someone who will appreciate them.

1 x Sony MZ-R37 mint condition no power adapter, just the player

1 x Sony MZ-R700PC power supply with UK plug.

both owned by me from day one and well cared for. Both headphones went wonky and I lost them at some point over the last 15 years or so.

Video of my
    SONY MDS-JB980 QS HIGHEND MDLP MINIDISC RECORDER

5. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

This is my small collection, managed to get some great blank MD's over the last few years.
    2018-01-04 14.31.36.jpg 2018-01-04 14.31.25.jpg 2018-01-04 14.30.44.jpg

Ken80s likes this.
  6. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Very nice, i have a deep fondness for minidisc as i adopted the technology quite early on as it suited me in every way being so adaptable. I need to check my loft as i have a MD deck similar to yours up there, i should get it down.

The MZ-R37 was one of my first md models i owned, no idea what happened to it but it stirred fond memories seeing yours :thumbsup:

James Tervit likes this.
  7. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

The J980 is a phenomenal machine and sounds great through my high end DAC.

8. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Just to add I am selling both these MD players, I never use them..