1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

miss the early days

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by 19lexicon78, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I might grab this one if the quality seems decent, I've always lusted after the 80's versions.

LP2GO_angle_closed_web.jpg

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Boodokhan has a real thing to this LP2GO, but that one has linear tracking arm (I think) and costs a bit more ;)

Boodokhan likes this.
  3. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

there is only one TT. thats the EMT r80s
    or emt 950 with ikeda arm with external phone amp. the 950 is perhaps the best TT there is, but debate with r80. yep, prefer that one far more than the 927. forget the 930.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

The Ion portable turntable is not a good one. In my opinion do not waste your money. Sound burger and Sony PS-5 or PS-9 are good options but difficult to find one in decent shape and good price. I have multiple of sound burgers and two PS-f5 (as @Jorge mentioned) and all work fine.
    By the way where did you read about new sound burger/ version 2???

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  5. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

i know, i posted this before - but again here's the 60'es version:

IMG_3752.JPG IMG_3753.JPG

speedy2.0 likes this.
  6. Mister X

autoreverser, more photos please! That's really cool but it looks it might be from the 60's. Boodokhan, I was just making a general reference to the ION Model, Ion has a newer version coming out. My next binging might be on small turntables....

7. autoreverser

it is from 1960 british made, battery-powered (4x babycell), i make more pics later, unfortunately have to work now :hi

8. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

It's a synergy. People going after vintage items are willing to spend on them more than they're objectively worth, collectors extolling the "quality" of their "grails" with hyperbolic descriptions establish hierarchies of value, resellers who want to capitalize on all that rise their prices, higher and higher ebay & paypal commissions push prices up...

...and then it's a loop, and the process starts anew, and it extends beyond the net. I find most of my boomboxes in the wild, and until recently I used to spend a trifle on them. Recently however everybody is starting to ask for more: they've smartphones, look on ebay for reference, do a google search of the model number, stumble across facebook groups, and there you go.

If you have a look at the average prices of a JVC RC M90 in 2010 and do a quick comparison with today's, you'll be stunned. I think of a critical episode when all the variables of the above-described process came together: the skyrocketing of an auction that peaked up to about $5.000 for a boxed-but-not-new specimen. Hence the paradox: now crappy, non working M90s cost more -- I estimate one third more -- than a new full working one 7 years ago.

9. Walkgirl

Walkgirl Member

I was looking on MP also :wink2

:biggrin:

10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Wonder if anyone has a "soundwagon" in their collection? It is soo cool!
    SOUNDWAGON

11. Mister X

Jorge, not the soundwagon, but really close!
    DSCN0546sm.jpg

Jorge and autoreverser like this.
  12. autoreverser

...i got one ;-)

Jorge likes this.
  13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Awesome! I want to be a five-year old again! ..."Miss the Early Days" indeed...

In my collection of dozen+ "Wish You Were Here" I have one in marble-colored vinyl. Its time to get this VW and check if it stays still while "driving" on a rotating marble platter :wink2

And here is Soundwagon reincarnated: LOVE :swoon2

14. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

I was just telling another member about years ago on here...i tried to sell a fully working m90 on here for £250 and nobody wanted it lol

i could be wrong but i think most people only want these ol radios because they are worth more than money these days

15. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I wonder how long ago that was. My theory is that when it comes to gadgets there are less new "must have" items to buy these days especially when most people get things like mobile phones and PVRs included with a contract. Although I am not a particularly early adopter my first DVD player cost £140, followed a couple of years later by a DVD / Hard disk recorder for £350. Somehow I have now acquired four DVD / Hard Disk recorders the most recent being a comparable Sony one from a charity shop for £10. Two Humax PVRs mean I don't really use any of them any longer.

I don't have much hope of them becoming collectors items soon. However, I can always hope. I remember once seeing a Betamax video recorder for sale with the label
    "Star Wars Tape £5 - Free VCR included" Have a look at the price of working Betamax VCRs go for on Ebay nowadays.

16. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

That would be about 8 to 10 years ago Longman, m90's have always fetched quite a lot but nobody wanted mine lol

Walkgirl likes this.
  17. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Thanks for clarifying.

Ten years ago you would have been competing against the newly launched iPhone and a whole range of iPods.
    People who wanted to blast their music might have been looking at a brand new JVC Kaboom which would play their Cassettes and CDs and come with a remote control and guarantee for around the same price you were asking. From what people say sound quality of the Kaboom is good. The only time I have heard one it was being used for background music in a large school hall.

Showing how quickly things become obsolete and almost worthless I passed on a Kaboom for £15 last month at a charity shop. I was quite excited when I saw it, but on closer examination it was the one with an iPhone dock (with the old 30 pin connector) in place of the cassette and no line in either. The designers probably thought "we've covered the latest technology with the dock and yesterdays technology with the CD player. What more could anyone want ?".

Will I regret not buying it in ten years time? If Stereo2Go is still around I can imagine someone writing about the amazing antique Kaboom complete with a CD player for their antique media which they had just bought for £500. In another post Deech will be showing pictures of all the Smartphones and Bluetooth speakers he has seen at the Athens market :hmmm

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017