1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mods for the Panasonic RQ-S60/80

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Command8, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Hello everyone, I recently ordered a panasonic RQ-S60. A cool mod i found for is this:
    https://lifehacker.com/5625612/make-a-hybrid-iphone-headset-that-actually-sounds-good

Since the Panasonic RQ's aren't as functional without the included earphones, i spliced the earphones with higher quality Philips earbuds. I wanted to use my best earphones (remax 610d) but didn't because i think ribbon cables would have been incompatible (i dont have any soder).
    IMG_20161220_214524.jpg
    Also if you dont have any solder on you, using plastic tape, nail clippers, lighter and wire connector nut is a-ok :thumbup:

Does anyone else have any other cool tricks/mods?

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this information/ trick. I like the idea of being creative and making better headset but I rather have an intact headset rather than a better quality but cosmetically damaged.

3. Kalach Portable

Kalach Portable New Member

IUt looks quite good actually. I mean not a half-baked result =) I have the S60 and other ones from the s line. Love them but none of them are actually functional I suspect the belt is the culprit on all of them. I will keep my eyes open for those mods. Anu idea where to find an extra remote for these units?

4. Command8

Command8 Active Member

nope, maybe by buying broken s60's. anyway i re-modified the remote and instead changed from earbud to a 2.5mm jack, this allows me to plug in my high quality akg y50's. I was worried there wouldn't be enough power in the remote to power my headphones but i was wrong, works like a charm.

5. Kalach Portable

That's great but still won't solve the lack-of-remote issue.

6. Command8

Command8 Active Member

7. Kalach Portable

Hi! Thanks for the link and your help; unfortunately that one won't work. I already have 17 Panasonic Walkmans and with them a variety of remote controllers with the same compatible plug type, only none of them will work. Perhaps the volume and play button would work but that's about it. Panasonic's S80 remote controller is unique since it is much more complex than any other offering parametric EQ display plus a button to set a variety 0f sound processing settings. Even Sony's remote controller are more compatible among models of the same decade.

8. vincentv478

vincentv478 Member

9. vincentv478

vincentv478 Member

Also, I would recommend placing a gob of glue/hot glue on the inside as the crimp sleeve used to hold the cable inside the socket can be hard on the tiny cable.

10. vincentv478

vincentv478 Member

p.s. if you have any intention of selling a s60 or s80 I am greatly interested in acquiring one.

11. vincentv478

vincentv478 Member

Hell, I would even replace the belts free for you if you let me try em out for a week ;), shipping and cost of belts on you though :p