1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My collection of sealed Tapes

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by Ω SK-95, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

I might consider trading some...
    IMG_4115 (1).JPG IMG_4116 (1).JPG IMG_4114 (1).JPG IMG_4117 (1).JPG IMG_4122 (1).JPG IMG_4123 (1).JPG IMG_4118 (1).JPG IMG_4119 (1).JPG IMG_4120 (1).JPG IMG_4121 (1).JPG

I'm looking for some of these, below:

Fuji-Fr-Ii-90.jpg audiomagnetics_xhe_ultra_i_19___canada_90_1.jpg audio-magnetics-xhe-aud.jpg Sony UCX 90 Tape.jpg
    The Yamaha below in Type II only:
    Yamaha Tape.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Ken80s and retro like this.
  2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Wow, excellent amount of saved tapes. For collecting or for future use?

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  3. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

For now, I look at them and it puts me back in the early 80's when I marveled at this stuff! I am getting ready to begin recording again, just to further take me back, and I'll start with Cheap Trick's, Budokan!

I'm getting all my recently acquired half-decent Hi-Fi equipment all set-up and ready, and then I will begin recording again. I will use a few of these tapes... while some others, I don't think I will. Thanks Hugo!

4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The photos remind me of a branch of "Top Tapes", a chain of small shops in the UK who sold nothing but tapes.

I just Googled them and the only evidence I found of their existence was

http://www.wereallneighbours.co.uk/idlechat/message.php?id=14252&page=1376

Ignore any comments in that about it being a front for something else.
    There was one in Bristol UK in another very small shop somewhere behind the Hippodrome theatre.

Anyone else remember them ?

Back then the profit margin on a few high end cassettes would have been enough to sustain a shop.

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  5. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Nice collection with a quite few Metal tapes as well :) I too have quite a large collection, glad I'm not alone some friends just don't understand why and think I'm crazy, maybe I am ;)

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  6. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Nice collection of tapes .

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  7. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

Hey Dave!! Thanks man, my friends look at all of this and they too do not understand. :iconconfused: I'd say you would have to be from this very narrow frame in time, late 70's up to early 90's, to appreciate any of this. You would have to have lived through this era and had to be into tapes, recording, walkmans, boomboxes, and Hi-Fi in general. You have your own tastes and likes and they... have theirs, just ask them to let you look into their closet. On a side note, I realize there are a good number of people from a couple of younger generations that appreciate our "old tech" toys. :thumbsup: Cheers!

8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I suspect that in the 1990s Home Computers replaced Hi Fi as a mainstream hobby. In the 1970s a large number of enthusiasts were discussing what Record Deck, Tonearm, Cartridge and Stylus cable to buy. In the 1990s the equivalent people were discussing what Motherboard, CPU and Graphics card to buy. I'm not sure what the techie people do now, although Raspberry Pis and Linux spring to mind. Either that or video. Most of the discussion amongst the engineers I ate a Christmas lunch with earlier this week was on the merits of Plasma vs LCD and various recording devices. One retiree said he is now up to 38TB of video storage ;)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Ω SK-95 likes this.
  9. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

Memories of these long gone shops stay with us forever. The smells, how poorly lit they were, the attentive owner, the wood floors squeaking. And now, decades later it units us with those memories. Back then we were mere strangers, today we realize we shared those shops with so many others who come to this site and others like it to reminisce. It's beautiful!!

Longman likes this.
  10. walkman archive

Ken80s likes this.
  11. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Wow, what a massive collection of tapes!

walkman archive likes this.
  12. walkman archive

Well, I've been collecting them for years, and always focused on quality and collectability :)

Ken80s likes this.