1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new but old Universum

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by T-ster, Feb 12, 2017.

1. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

So many years ago when i was a newbie, I asked on the forums for a good box under £100 to get me started after buying a couple of low end boxes, the voices suggested a Universum Supersound 1600.

I purchased said box from Germany, non working tape deck, radio working fine. Well it came and needed more than a rebelt and i couldn't fix it. As i can't generally live without the deck working (with a couple of rare exceptions) i bunged it in the loft and thought no more of it.

So recently i started to clear out the loft, sell off all the stuff i didnt need or want including tapes, boomboxes, old tech, computer bits etc and i started to sort my old boxes into ones i was parting, ones i was selling for spares and boxes i wanted to attempt repair on. The Universum fell into the latter camp.

Well my skills have improved a lot and after an hour i had power to the deck, another hour i had the deck fully working and sounding spot on. Still don't have rewind and i cannot for the life of me figure it but every other function works and as i was out of time that had to do. Speakers repainted, tuner glass cleaned, minor clean and here she is:
    20170212_152802_resized.jpg 20170212_152812_resized.jpg 20170212_152819_resized.jpg 20170212_152830_resized.jpg 20170212_152838_resized.jpg

dlt and Deliverance like this.
  2. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Nice one. When I first heard one I was surprised how good they sound.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    dlt likes this.
  3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Yeah surprising sound for a mid size box, really good bass and no listening fatigue, its very easy on the ears.

4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

are those 8"" woofers??? looks a nice box to me just not keen on top controlls but that's just me

you say ff don't work possibly an idler tire needs cleaning lad

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Beautiful box T-ster! What does "Pegel" mean?